Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Need some Baldwin Info

If [b]anyone[/b] knows, you guys would.

I'll be spending a week in the Baldwin area (Wolf Lake) the first week in August. Wife (a semi-flyfisher) will be with me, so might pop for a day with a guide on the PM. Any recommendations for guides?

Also would like some info on small streams to hit. I know that's PM country, but would like to hit some small streams for Brookies while I'm there.

Any ideas?? (I can keep a secret)

Thanks

Try Steve at Baldwin Bait and tackle he has a web page or Scmidts outfitters they also have web pages they are both quite reputable

Hi Redleg,

Well, I've fished the bigger rivers (I know the Pine isn't a "big river") in Mich over the years, and several years ago decided I'd much rather fish the small streams that flow into them. My favorite area over the past 20 years are the streams in the PM State Forest that flow into the Manistee, North of Cadillac/Manton. Wonderful Brookie country. Over the past 20+ years, I think I've seen maybe a dozen other fisherman in those creeks. Too much work to get to. OK by me, tho.

But I'm not putting down the bigger, famous rivers, they keep folks away from those small streams. But I have a week, +/-, so who knows?

I use to fish those too, Hopkins all they back to Mesick. Blind and Filer were my favorites. I'm on Coe creek now, close to all the headwaters of the pine. STill a lot of traffic, but not quite as congested as BAldwin, especially on a week day.