Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

fishing size speys

i have no idea whats going on with my smaller size speys. my wings sit almost upright, and my hackle looks WAY too full, or WAY too empty.

im using the right size material...in my mind anyways.

the base at my tie in point for my wings SEEMS to be flat, im even crinping the point with pliers, but cant get the buggers down.

ive tried stripping half the hackle feather off, it looks naked. and tried folding the feather, too full.

am i missing something???

btw, im trying to tie #3-#5

The smaller the spey you tie, the fuller ot sparser the hackle will look. Because you are tying a smaller flie, there is less room on the hook between turns of hackle. So if you use a full hackle it looks to full, if you strip the hackle it looks to sparse. You did not say what hackle you are using. I use blue eared for larger flies, but I use cocktails for smaller flies and strip on side. I also started using the whiting spey hackle, you get a good size range on the necks or saddles. I prefer the necks though. As for the wing tilting up. It is either the type of hook you are using, or the tie in area is crowded. I will tie the throat on and then move my thread just above the throat and tie the wing in. You can also flatten out the hackle stems near the tie area with some tweesers. Also taper the body so that is thinnest near the tie in point. If you are using an alex jackson hook or any of the partridge bartlett models, those hook shanks are curved and will tend to cock the wing up. Try this and let us know. Bill C. :headbang:

Sign in to follow this