Fly Tying
ted patlen

never leave home without it...

I reccomend taking vitamin B12 for a few weeks before you go. It works better than bug spray. And take lots of film, you'll be glad you did. And binoculars, lots to see. And be sure to stay away from those big fury animals with the big hump on their backs, as pretty as they are, they really can out run you.

License, first aid kit.

I was about to suggst a first aid kit. Sounds silly, but you really never know. My uncle recently got a fly in his eyelid. It wasn't too severe, but we put a little saline solution on it afterwards, and it didn't get infected. Who's to say it wouldn't have without the disinfectant?

~Bryce

greg a

B-12 never heard of that one for bug repellent...sounds very interesting...usually i just use a very cheapo cigar...i'll have to give it a try...to everyone that has responded thank you...many great ideas that i didn't think of...i'm no stranger to traveling with the rods, but i am always open for suggestions...

hey fly time...i thought i saw someone fishing during a spinner fall one evening with something "stuck" into the hemo on his vest...what i couldn't understand was why the spinners kept circling him and not really think about having sex and dying like they were supposed to.

someday we gotta party on the west branch of the big D

Cigars, the big stinky kind. You can't catch fish without a cigar in your mouth. Great bug repellant, and added advantage of keeping other fisherman from crowding you.

got the cigars , and the paper folded nicely into little ziplock bags...i'm a qick learner as i picked the wrong leaves a few years ago...

as far as the bears...i'm faster than two others in the group and i let them carry the sandwichs

ted, you really appear to be wearing your thinking cap - the comment about who is the fastest rings true. I think all of us could take a lesson there.

Oh, yeah, don't forget the bear bells so they can locate you easier. Also carry bear spray - they like it for seasoning.

Seriously, had to use spray twice - once in Montana and once in the UP of Michigan. REALLY glad I had it.

Hi Ted,

I guided Yellowstone for a number of years and those waters can be kind of tough later in the year (early on sometimes as well). One of my go to flies for tough fish was a #4 black Zonker. I suggest you have several of them if the fish start looking at your offering and turning away. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com