Fly Tying
Flyguy13

bluegill bouble bunny

Very nice! I tied one up as well... maybe I'll post it as my first fly ever to these boards. Main difference with mine is that I used a two toned orange zonker strip that has black tips. I also tied the bottom zonker in first, so I could wrap some blue floss in by the head and partially over the fur before bringing the top strip over.

I didn't do the wire ribbing that you did... looks very cool.

I did mine on a size 4... is that too big? What size hook did you use?

Very nice, indeed!!!!

madkasel, a size 4 is not too big since I'm guessing you'll be targeting bass. I tie most of mine in a size 2 or bigger.

mine is tied on a size 6 3xl hook. I tied it on a 6 so that i can cast it with a 5wt.

madkasel, I really like that idea about the blue floss i think i will add that to the next couple i tie.

mine is tied on a size 6 3xl hook. I tied it on a 6 so that i can cast it with a 5wt.

madkasel, I really like that idea about the blue floss i think i will add that to the next couple i tie.

This'll give me a good excuse to try the macro setting on my camera and see if I can get a good photo of a fly, and upload it to this thread. I think a light blue chenile would maybe work better for the tie... help build it up... but I don't have that.

Here is my very similar spin on it.

IPB Image

The two toned (black tipped) flourescent orange zonker is the perfect thing for this tie. I got it at Gander Mountain. I tied the orange strip in first and gave it a few wraps of blue floss near the head. Also cut the orange strip quite tight to the end of the hook. Something I might do on future ties is color the side of the zonker with a black sharpie and then go over that with a gold spraypaint pen before tying.

Thanks to luvin_bluegills for the inspiration!

(note that the two-toned zonkers also make for awesome bunny leeches)

what kind of eyes did you use. I wanted to put eyes on mine because i think it really makes look nice. but i didn't know what kind of eyes or how and where to glue them on.

I bought a big pack of various sized red eyes at a flyshop here in town. I think they're called prismatic eyes. Quite shiney. I couldn't find decent eyes at Michaels or hobby shops.

They're sticky... but not very... so I put a drop of superglue on and then stuck it in place. Glued my fingertips together a bit in the process on the first one, but got the hang of it pretty well.

As far as placement... I guess I often see the eyes glued higher up into the fur, but I like to put them right on the strip... use 'em to hold down the krystal flash I tie in at the head as well. Higher up might be more realistic, but I don't think they would hold as well there. They're tricky to place for my big clumsy fingers so I don't worry too much about symetry ... getting 'em close on either side is good enough for a fish.

Sweet tie madk! That's gonna drive the Largemouth nuts, and I wouldn't be surprised if Brown Trout took that to be a young Brownie and ate it up too.