Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
day5

Huge stone fly

I was at work today in white pigeon Mi near the pigeon river. (on the MI IN border) The river is sucker water only as far as I know. As I walker outside I dam near fell over an I almost stepped on the biggest stone fly I have ever seen. I collected it and will take pic this weekend and post them. This sucker is 3 inches long plus. yellow and black belly. Steelie?? do you want me to freeze it and you can get it some time to keep as a specimen????

I've seen a few of them big ol' monster stones on the Au Sable Matt. Here's a pic of one I caught last year which was about half the size of some of the ones I have found.

Same color belly as the one your talking about. Did yours look like this one?

IPB Image

Coloration is close but this one is 3 times the size of yours Ill get pics up tomorrow

If the stonefly was 3 inches long on the AuSable, Michigan, then there's no doubt it's Pteronarcys (Plecoptera: Pteronarcyidae), most likely Pteronarcys dorsata, the most common of the two species in Michigan.

We call those Salmon flies over here. (California) I have a few preserved in my insect collection from my 4-H days. I remember it was some years ago and I caught my only fish of that particular trip on one of them. Just think of walking around and seeing those schucks everywhere.... like holy s#$%, one big bug emerged from there and then finally finding some on the bushes near the shore was even better. Those days were fun, but I'm in Ethan's boat now, better to admire em, help em out if you can, (like if they're drowning, I scoop em up and let em dry off on my shirt), and let em go (all insects).

I get them around my porch lights. For something that's harmless, they look like they would bite your finger off and spit it at you.