Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
field989

need some gill patterns

i need some pond bluegill patterns (i dont have any rubber legs) nothing super difficult but this guy wants some gill flies and i dont have any ideas.

PLEASE HELP

Chedck the Red Squirrel nymph Ridderbos did in the last hatches...it is kill in gills. As you do not have rubber legs do the soft hackle version.

hey im not a DA i knew that there is a gallery but sometimes u need to hear of the flys that people USE AND CATCH FISH ON

bead head buggers (I prefer black), small clousers (I prefer black over chartruese w/ flash), larger nymphs (hare's ear, ptn). To make it really simple, tie in a marabou tail, advance your thread to the eye, and palmer the butt ends in a rope to the eye and tie off. Very simple leach, you can crank them out really fast and bluegills don't need the jungle cock eyes and married wings and other fancy acoutraments.

And if you are out of rubber legs and have an old bungy cord you can end up with a lief time supply by opening a bungy cord up...so rubber legged flies aren't really our of your range.

But just about any small soft hackle fly will also work for gills (size 10 or smaller) (take a look a t the latest issue of Hatches...)

Believe it or not, my best non-rubber legged fly for bluegills is a Royakl Coachman Wet.

Mark Delaney

Hey Field989,

Try some Woolyworms, and dont forget the Sparrow the step by step is posted in Hatches.

Air heads catch alot of gills for me. So do alot of little streams patterns and wet flies. During a hatch drys are awsome but my fav would have to be a summers special(bee pattern).

Cut up a one of then spinnerbait gizmos ....instant rubber leggs!!!

:rolleyes:

I've been doing well recently on beadhead wooly buggers(black/olive), bugeye buggers(use bead chain eyes instead of beadhead), and soft hackles. With the buggers I'm able get a little deeper and seem to catch larger bream along with the occasional bass(using sz 6-8 bugger)

Spanky

Gosh I am confused. I thought this was a forum, a place where ya ask questions and people who WANTED to answer do so, and give you advise. But I have been wrong before.

STU

Gartside Gurgler !!!!!!

Or go onto Google and type in 'Gurgle Pop', the pattern calls

for rubber legs but I'm sure it will work without. :thumbsup: :thumbup:

Mos def. I can't wait to get a 2 wt. and take those bad boys to the gills.

~Bryce