Fly Tying
Slacker

Making Insect Bodies

Hey!

I have been trying to make insect bodies with foam in a simple way that is cheap. I received some great feedback and modified some of the advice and this is what I came up with.

After gluing the pieces of foam together I took a metal ball point pen and took it apart. I placed the metal tube into the cordless drill and presto! I had an insect body cutter, The great thing is that different metal pens are different sizes.

Here is a picture of some of the insect bodies. There is one finished wasp there. It was my first attempt and I still have some, OK alot, of work to do.

If you glue 6 x 6 sheets of foam together you will have more insect bodies than you can possible use.

I have extras if anyone wants to trade something? Do people do that? Trade things they have for what other people have on this forum?

Take care,

Tim

post-4561-1148668960_thumb.jpg

nice bodies!!!so all u do is put the pen tube in a drill and as it spins it cuts out the foum???...ill have to try it.

p.s. i dont know about the trading thing??? :dunno: :blink: :dunno: :blink: :dunno: :blink:

nice bodies!!!so all u do is put the pen tube in a drill and as it spins it cuts out the foum???...ill have to try it.

Yea! No need for sharpening the tubes or anything. Just tighten them in the drill and apply pressure (while drilling) onto the foam. Cuts out nice perfect bodies!

Trading thing I am not sure of either. Just thought someone might be interested in that as opposed to buying all the stuff and getting it started, if they had something to offer in exchange.

It was just a thought.

Tim