Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Stone ID help

i posted this pic under Matts thread, but also wanted to repost for Taxon or Ethan (or anyone) to see if I can get a positive ID on this stone. This pic is from last year, but just this weekend I took some nice 14-16" browns during a hatch of these on a dry stone pattern (Mattress Thrasher pattern). So I want to see exactly what species this is so I can gauge when the hatch is for sure.

They are hatcing on the Au Sable in Northern Michigan, mid day till evening- are about 1-1.5 inches long. Heres the pic.

thanks for any help

IPB Image

Steve-

Hopefully Ethan will notice your post and respond. I had noticed your stonefly nymph photo when you posted it on the other thread, and passed on making any comment.

Before stonefly nymphs begin forming wingpads, which become quite distinctive, they all look somewhat alike to me, and I can't even reliably identify them to family. Sorry.

Looks like Isogenoides sp. Did you save the specimen? If so, I can get it down to species, made easier by a recent publication by Sandberg and Stewart on the genus. If you wish to download the PDF, go to:

http://www.ias.unt.edu/~StoneflyHome/Home/

On the left frame, click on "Publications," and you can download various PDFs of John Sandberg's work, much of it done with Ken Stewart participation.

Cheers, Ethan

Thanks Ethan.

I didnt' save it (which I wish I did now). I will be back up there in about 2 week's so if they are still coming off I plan to save one then. Which bring's up another question I have. When saving insect specimens to keep in a tube on the bench, what is the best way to do that? what do you suggest as a solution to keep in the vial to preserve an insect?

Any vial is better than no vial, although letting go alive is always better than keeping a specimen only to see it damaged. If you don't have access to glass or plastic vials with screw-on tops, I find what works in a pinch several options:

1) Tight-sealing medicine containers from the pharmacy;

2) Double bagged zip-lock bags (i.e., a sealed bag inside another sealed bag;

3) Plastic film canisters

Any one with other tricks?

In terms of preserving, you can use denatured EtOH (rubbing alcohol using ethyl alcohol). You can also use isopropyl alcohol, although this tends to dehydrate specimens more and make them stiffer. If you have the patience, I find it a good idea to add a bit of glyceryn to a vial; in case the vial leaks, the glyceryn will retard dehydration for some period of time.

Lastly, keep in mind there have been some changes with the USPS - they are less keen on shipping biological specimens contained in a flammable medium. Of late, they are even giving research institutions and museum problems. It might be better to ship with UPS or FedEx.

If shipping dry specimens, you might just pluck the specimen in the vial. Stuff some paper, foam, or even sphagnum moss in the bottom, and this will prevent some damage due to shaking.