Fly Tying
sniksoh

whats your favorite bluegill fly

Bluegills = Dumb!

But, like alligators, shark, gar and many others, these animals have been swimming the creeks, rivers and oceans far longer than humans have been here! Dumb possibly, when based on what we think of as smart, but they are certainly well adapted and persistent.

Here Are My Favorites. In no particular order

Small Foam Poppers( #1 Poppers Are The Best)

Mackie Bugs

Montana Nymphs

Wooly Worms or Buggers

Elk Hair Caddis

Bully Spiders

Foam Spiders

For top water I like humpys or wulff type dries and small deer hair poppers and ratfaced mcdougals. For under water I use a fly I started tying years ago. I never have named it but here's the recipe...

Hook: 3906-B 8 to 14

Thread: black 6/0

Butt: fine flat silver tinsel

Body: Dubbed using the loop and twist method ..coarse rabbit mask mainly guard hairs from the ears and between the eyes mixed with the fur, once you get 3/4 along the shank to the thorax use the long dark guard hairs from between the eyes of the mask and make a dubbing loop to trap the hairs pointing rearward so when you tie it in all the guard hairs point rearward over the fly as in a hares ear or red fox squirrel nymph.

Wing: black and white barred wood duck, cut about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch of fibers from the flank and holding them between the fingers of one hand hit against them with the palm of your other to seperate the fibers while keeping the ends aligned. tie these in behind the eye so the black/white tips extend to the butt of the hook over the body in a semi circle and tied in close enough in front of the thorax that they point upward at a 45 degree angle ... like the partridge and orange wet fly. Fish with small twitches, the fly starts on top then after a couple of twitches it sinks slowly and fishes about 6- 8 inches deep though you can tie in lead wire before adding the body if you want it to fish deeper. The black/white woodduck fibers and rabbit guard hair thorax pulse with each twitch and it works out pretty well on bream and crappie and i've had a lot of success with trout and small bass also.

As mentioned in earlier posts, Gartside gurgler and foam humpies, especially with yellow foam and green bodies.

Pat Carroll

post-9960-1183003908_thumb.jpg

The Crackleback Woolyworm has been very good to me. It can be fished dry or wet. If they don't take it on the surface, I give it a slight tug to pull it under, let it sink, then use a slow short strip and pause retrieve.

I fish a few for gills and other panfishes.I fish an Adams alot with GREAT results,san juan worm,royal wulff,PT nymph and wooly bugger.

I know-Zip uses trout flies for panfish-shoot me now.

What! Only one ant pattern mentioned?!

Maybe it's a local thing, but a simple black or red ant works great on the surface or below.

a pure black foam spider with orange rubber legs. if u go to my pond though u dont need to use your favorite fly to catch them, they hit rocks when i through them in. my favorite all time bluegill lure for my pond is a rattle trap lipless crank bait, and most of them are 12 inches long. :lol:

My boy was fishing with his spin rod when his arm was broken... he had a rubber worm or something he was bouncing off the bottom for bass (and doing quite well!). The gills were attacking the point where his line went into the water.

They're nuts!

Surface = Sponge Spider

Sub-Surface = Double Hackle Bead Head (Hare's Ear body, gold rib, Partridge Hackle at front and back, red thread) Size 8-10