Fly Tying
letumgo

How can you tell when you have enough fly tying materials?

Its funny how every time I get a new fly tying book or magazine, that half of the patterns use materials that I do not have, but somehow "need" after reading about them. I end up buying various materials to try them out, even though I've got plenty of other materials at home that would make fine substitutions.

I'm just curious to know what signs to look for the know when I have enough materials...

:j_k: :hyst: ;)

I found out when I went to a vendor at a show that sold hackle. I have been buying from him for about 5 years. He told me I already had the hackle I was looking at and the sad part is... he was right. :help:

Mike

I think what you see in books and magazines, the newer ones anyways, are just mostly older patterns with newer materials. I just use what I have if I want to tie what I see. I honestly feel that a lot, not all but alot, of the flies you see in magazines are tied with different materials as a gimmick to sell articles.

Funny stuff!!

I'm with you Gregg A.

I'm so tired of marketing bs I let all my subscriptions run out. I learned a lot more when I was younger and learned by trial and error, and testing ideas.

I think you know you have enough materials when you know which materials cause your allergies to act up.

When you have more pairs of scissors than your wife or girlfriend has shoes.

When you have to be a ninja to sneak material into the house.

You have enough dubbing to make a large, comfortable pillow.

When it takes more time to prepare feathers and furs than dinner.

When you have a nickname given to you by the local flyshop employees.

Chip

If greed and gluttony truely are deadly sins......... my abundance of, and desire for materials will be the last of me. (Sorry, I cannot add any of you to my will) :hyst:

Hi letumgo,

We probably have more material than most members of this group and we still find a reason to purchase more. It must be a sickness of some kind. My only problem is both Gretchen and I suffer from it. That means when I buy a new toy/material I have to get at least four of them - one each for our work stations at home and one each for our tying kits at the cabin. On second thought, I should also add to the tying kit in the drift boat and the other we keep in the truck; just in case! Oh, no - it's never ending! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Good Day,

Good stuff...

I have been tying for nearly twenty years and therefore have accumulated a lot of materilas. I have about 15 plactic shoe box sized boxes that are over stuffed and then another 12ct 12"x15"x6" boxes that are also nearly at capacity... Lots of stuff. I just love materials. And I have to try new stuff that hits the market. Love to play with new stuff. I don't really think you can have too much. What I like about the state of my materials is that I have enough to choose from to be able to be that much more creative and adventurous at the vise.

Steelie

too much is when you keep buying the same thing over and over again because you can't find it underneath all of the other stuff you have

Been there & done that...but it's not just me...everytime my wife goes with me to the Sowbug Roundup in Mountain Home, I have to stop here from buying too many more hackle capes so we have enough money to get home...she ties, but not that much!! The fly tying material is in four big softsided bags in the closet and a four drawer chest (with runover in another four drawer chest in my office at work).

Mark Delaney

When the fly shop owners kids say "thank you" because you put them through school :ph34r:

My entire wall (10'x8') os covered from top to bottom and side to side (and each hook has about 3-4 packs of each on it, plus it has now spread out about 3' on the side walls....yet I still want more :unsure: