Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutbum421

Portland, MI Smallies

Does anyone fish this area? I've been fishing there for eight years but never with flies. What patterns work best? Send a message if you plan to give specific spots, I am quite familiar with the area.

Used to live North of Wacousta, and I went to Grand Ledge HS. I've fished a stretch North of Grand Ledge, alongside a county park, and done very well with wooly buggers (black, white, olive) with some flash in the tail. Also crayfish patterns. Usually use a 9' 5wt, but have had lots of fun with a 3wt.

Always nice to stop in at the Logjam in Grand Ledge after a long day on the river.

I grew up in St. Johns, and now live in the Grand Rapids area, I'd be more than happy to meet up with you sometime and show you what I know. Fly wise, always done very well with clousers, usually black over gold, or black over white. Also crayfish immitations have produced as well. Occassionally I have been able to pick up a smallie or two on a large stonefly nymph as well. Hope this helps.

Used to live North of Wacousta, and I went to Grand Ledge HS. I've fished a stretch North of Grand Ledge, alongside a county park, and done very well with wooly buggers (black, white, olive) with some flash in the tail. Also crayfish patterns. Usually use a 9' 5wt, but have had lots of fun with a 3wt.

Always nice to stop in at the Logjam in Grand Ledge after a long day on the river.

If your down in Toledo we will allow you to come up and try the Huron west of Ann Arbor for smallies since you are a michigan man. Your right about the GRand Ledge area the fishing is good all the way down through try any of the wadeable sections you never know