Fly Tying
camarobob

Small mantis?

Got back from the creek today and as I went to unload my vest this little fellow was staring me right in the face. At first it looked "to me" like a small mantis so I took a few macro shots and now I'm not so sure. I know there are some serious bug guys here. What do you all think? It is at the most 3/8'' overall in legnth.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I was watching an old sci fi movie the other night, If I was you I would get rid of it!!!

Seriously I have never seen anything like it, I am also wondering if that is an egg sac on the rear

He does look like that assassin bug. He just looks big and scary because of the magnification of the pictures. In person he's realy quite cute. Well he's out in my yard now doing whatever it is that he'll do.

The elongate, piercing-sucking mouthpart that arises from the front of head definitely makes it a Heteroptera (part of the hemipteroid assemblage, which includes water bugs, assassin bugs, leafhoppers, scales, cicadas, etc.). It appears to be a species of Reduvilldae, the assassin bugs, ambush bugs, and three-legged bugs; however, I'm not great with the terrestrial bugs, and would need the specimen in-hand to identify it.

Reading that on the assasin bug made me think of the giant brain on Starship Troopers. :o ugghh, I see that I am a bait fisherman...Please not again!IPB Image Here's a pic of a juvenile assassin bug. Looks about the same...