Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

All About Dubbing

Whether you use synthetics or naturals, everyone at the bench will at some point or another, have a fit with dubbing. Follow these simple tips, and maybe the fits of frustration can be kept to a minimum wink.gif .

Buggy Nymphs

Natural and synthetic dubbings may not have that certain "bugginess" you desire. Try this: blend a little coarse hair or hackle fiber into the dubbing. When applied, the fibers will stick out in every direction. Trim to your own specifications and you can create the perfect buggy nymph!

Dubbing Loops...and the aggravations of

Dubbing loops are great for applying dubbing for thick bodied flies. Using a dubbing loop also creates a tougher fly that can longer withstand the pummeling of trout and steelheads. One big problem that most tyers experience when learning to use the dubbing loop is keeping the material on one thread before you "twist" it into the "dubbed rope". Using waxed thread helps aid in keeping materials on the thread, but some tyers do not like waxed threads...SO...if you are one of those fellas, try this....hand lotion. Simply take a very small bead of lotion and run it down one thread. Now apply your materials and they will stay put until you spin or twist the "rope".

Glue Sticks on the Bench

Glue sticks make great waxes for tying threads. The glue helps hold the material in place, like the wax, but also adds a bit of "toughnes" to the fly when it sets.

Adding Flash to Dubbing

You have the perfect dubbing for a pattern, but you want to add a little sparkle to it...here's what you do. Tie in a long strand of crystal flash and use it to form a dubbing loop. Apply the dubbing as you would to thread and dub. The flash gives nice sublte hints of flash throughout the dubbed body!

Another way to add flash to dubbing is to save clipped bits of flash and blend it with your materials...the peices should be long enough to grip the thread, but short enough to blend.

for more tips on dubbing and blending, check out the latest issue of Fly Tyer Magazine or ask on of our resident pros!

Tight lines, no wind knots, and friendly women!

Big Daddy

I'll add a few....

First, most people who don't have lots of dubbing experience tend to use far too much of the material. This holds true especially for dubbing bodies on dry flies.

Here's how to correct it: take the amount of dubbing that you think you need, and then use only half. You'll be surprised by how little it takes.

---

Second, twist dubbing onto the thread in only one direction. For example, don't twist the dubbing on with your left hand at the top in a left to right direction while twisting with your right hand at the bottom in a right to left direction. To some this seems like the right thing to do, but it's not. This will only snarl the dubbing and it won't get a good setting on the thread, even if waxed.

Here's how to correct it: twist (roll) the dubbing on the thread using only one hand and twist in only one direction, working the length of thread to be dubbed from top to bottom. Use your other hand to hold the thread securely below the area to be dubbed. This avoids the countering effects of twisting in opposing directions.

Dubbing "Wax" - not really: Toilet Bowl Wax Flange Ring. There's is nothing stickier or easier to stuff into a 35mm film canister or more readily available. It's tackier than Beeswax or Paraffin; doesn't require using a ton to tack up thread.

Knitting Yarn: Fairly obvious uses. Unravel 'threads' from 'yarns', depending on size hook/body style. Wind on in direction of twist, or unwind to lie flat on shank.

Waxed or Unwaxed Dental Floss: Great underbody material, for building up body dimension/taper before applying dubbed or colored body material; can be colored to accent body color; can be used as body material itself, can be tied on as 'thread' to be dubbed and wrapped.

I use ALOT of dental floss, Dave...builds nice bodies for the Giant Stones I like to tie for the faster flows.....dental floss is also great as a thread to spin deer and elk hair! wink.gif

I forgot: Pet hair from the grooming brush, and Dryer Lint. Amazing pre-blended dubbing colors after a set of towels with red, green, blue colors are done; or your sweats, or your polyester fleece- Mayfly patterns abound after a dryer load of fleece in yellow and green and purple is finished.

My cat is a charcoal dun color- his coloring is unbelievable!

Dave is right about pet hair. I've scored dubbing from many pets over the years, but the goldfish never seemed to produce too much.

dunno.gif blink.gif wacko.gif

quick recipe for the goldfish one big about size 2 baitholder. one zebco 33, 1 forked stick, one favorite catfish hole and a good fishing buudy to talk to with all the same equipment. and to add some extra flash to the pattern add 6 or 12 beers of your favorite brand and a good night is ahead of you whether the goldie makes it back to the bowl or not!

P.S. last post may be illegal in some states. It is in this one so disregard and pretend i never said it. Really never done it but a friend of a friend got caught with a bucket of them and got a huge fine. intrduction of a foriegn species. ouch! moron for getting caught knock the bucket over next time won't ya!

Never said what? wink.gif

I bought 2 of those little blue tubes of dubbing wax back in '95 and have yet to get even halfway through them. I like to use bare minimum so I just tap it with my finger to apply.

right you are Mark(LB)...less is more with the waxes.....

ANd Dave and Mark D are both tight about the animal hair...I, too, have a nice charcoal colored cat and her undercoat is a great dubbing! Blends easily and dubs tightly....but she has a bit of an aggresive side and is hard to hold at times, but then, aren't all females?! wink.gif

Sign in to follow this