Fly Tying
Iowaflyguy

Knots for small tippets

I know how to tie most of the standard fly fishing knots but have trouble with very small tippets.

My improved clinch knots for instance like to pull out on 6x or 7x. I think I remember an article or post

on this but I forgot to bookmark it :wallbash:

I have tried tying some midges and need to use the small tippets.

Thanks

Tom

I see its not just me, latley my knotts have been slipping as well. :dunno: At home or "on stream" I have been having to re-tie leaders and clinch knots.

I started using the Palomar knot on conventional braided lines and now use it pretty much on anything. Easy to tie and it is specifically recomended for the braided lines because they slip so bad. Never had one pull out. You can get the instructions here:

http://eaglespark.com/Knots/palomar.htm

Thanks deeky. I kind of thought that article I didn't keep mentioned a palimor. It also had a

reccomendation for the leader to tippet knot. I am sure some of the guys that fish very small flys

with delicate presentations will have some thoughts too

Joe I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

Tom

For fly to tippet I use Duncan loop, also called Uni-knot. It permits the creation of a variable size loop that can permit some action for nymphs, wets, or streamers, and can also permit reduction of drag a little bit on dries.

Here's one web page of many: Duncan Loop

For tippet to tippet and tippet to leader I like the simple surgeon's knot. it is like an overhand knot, but with an extra wrap, and hold both pieces together. Surgeon's Knot

Don't join 2 pieces having more than one size difference with this knot!

Good luck, tight lines, and strong knots!

-E :D

I have had alot bad luck in the past with most knots tying small flies and fine tippets. Seems my tippet always pigtailed. Then I stumbled upon " Davy's Knot" !!!!!! Very simple and fast. Just have to match tippet to eye size. If hook eye is too big for the tippet, it will slip. otherwise it's snug. i've had no problems with it at all. For bigger hooks I use the Duncan Loop Knot. I think you can find the Knot at Davy's Knot.

I use a Duncan Loop or a Palomar, most of the time it's a Duncan Loop. When I'm bait fishing with 2# test, always a Palomar. Ralph

I have also noticed the same issue and also have found the polamar to work better with light tippets