Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
micromet

very good ostrich herl

I'm working on a fly thay requires very high quality ostrich herl (long barbs)

Does anyone have a good source for this material?

Also, is there some trick to tying herl to get a very thick bodied fly.

For example, here is a pick of Jim Andrix's lil'bugger.

Mad River

Thanks,

Micromet

post-948-1152125795_thumb.jpg

First off welcome to the forum.

I think your best bet is to just keep your eyes out when in shops and pick out the stuff that has the longest fibers. Even with shorter fibers you will get a more full body by using two or three fibers tied in by the tips.

On a side note, Jim is a great guy and the Lil Bugger is absolutely a killer patterns for carp, gills, and smallies.

Maybe get in contact with John Mcclain from FeathersMC.com, he specializes in materials for tying full dressed atlantic salmon flies and might have what you're looking for or know where to get it

long barbed ostrich herl....wal mart, cleaning section, feather duster. its a lifetime supply, and dyeable

Micro Barbed ostrich herl also at wal-mart cleaning section feather duster. If you pick through them you can find any type of barb you want. Also at Home Depot. WAY CHEAPER Than through shops.

The herl dusters you get are smaller plumed herl, mainly mini herl. At least the ones I have seen. They will make a smaller width body than what is in the pic. The dusters are well worth owning, and you just might find what you need. I have seen natural grey, white, and black. I wish I would of grabbed one of the white ones, because they are now scarce.

Great tip Mike I would of tied them all in by the but and wrapped away. I could see tying by the tips making it easier to get that big fluffy body.

Looking at the herl, you will see there is clearly a front and back side based on where the fibers point. When wrapping, make sure the front of the herl is facing backwards (fibers pointing slightly backwards). This will leave the stem at the front where you can make the next wrap over it. Tying the herl in facing forwards will put the fibers ahead of the stem and leave a gap between wraps where the stem makes a spacer between wraps. It's a little change, but it makes a big difference.

Feather duster herl is from an Emu and is smaller and finer than Ostrich. If you want big and bushy, you want Ostrich. Check out J. Stockard, the site sponsor, they have good quality materials and the service is very good.

Micromet,

What I would suggest, is after tying in 3 or 4 herls by their tips at the bend of the hook, use floss or dubbing to build up the body before overwrapping the herls.

Gnatman

Another way to work with your herl, how Alec Jackson does it:

Tie on a piece of small oval tinsel along with 3-6 herls.

spin the herls and the tinsel so it forms one strand.

take an old toothbrush and brush out the fibers that get trapped and you should have a nice bushy herl rope.

Chip

A quick steaming over a kettle helps fluff things up nice as well. Great for chinelle as well.

Art

I would like to thank everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I will work with these ideas and report back -hopefully with a good pic of a very full-bodied lil bugger.

Thanks again,