Fly Tying
Joe Hard

What do you do for a living

Here is a picture of Blood worms, as you guys know I sell bait for a living

.IPB Image

Here is a dozen. I read on Main Bait Companies Web site that they are going for...well a lot. A far cry from what I get.

IPB Image

Here is what I use to dig them. They only last for about 3 months. The one on the right, I got and made last September and has been true to me until now. Its getting worn out. As you can see I am prepared. This new fork will take me an hour with a minni grinder, and a tide or two to break it in, so that it will work properly. It has to be ground down so it will not break the weld on the bolt that is screwed into the handle.

IPB Image

Here is a picture of where I work and the types of things I see every day.

IPB Image

Here is a bunch of worms. There has to be 250 per tray to sell. I am holding these worms until after tomorrow's tide and just threw a bunch into a tray. 250? close

IPB Image

It all looks good, until you get into the mud and start digging. The money is O.K., but the trade offs, even in the raining are worth it, if you like the outdoors. I go to dig about an hour later every day. You see things, (when you should be digging). That are totally incredible, sunrise, sunsets, fish 8 to 10 feet long and bigger breaking surface some times 6 feet plus in the air( sturgeon and striped bass), all the bottom dwelling sea life, and birds making the most of it.

On December 9, 2005 I registered my own fly tying and bait company. I have been taking it slow, as I want to retire from the hard labour and make it a go. Today, I was in a cab coming home from the machine shop. Another cab driver hollered hey Daryn where are you going? I want to talk to you. The cab I was in said he wants to know about the tide, (same company). I said pull over, and got out and waited. Turns out he was my first walk in customer, he came to my place and I hooked him up with some salt water gear. Lots of good advise, and a happy customer.

I am soon going to pop out a web site and have got a few tips from, SD. I have been busting my butt for over 20 years digging those worms. I would like to change my life from a guy that digs worms, and will work for BOLGNA, to a guy that has worked hard all his life and now has something good.

If you have any advise as to web site making info. I am all ears, If you have any info concerning selling bait or any documented info about blood worms, I need it. I have washed my hands trying to help the fisheries, but I am concerned about myself and the diggers in our local area.

What do you do? and do you got pics? Everyone is different and does something different, even if its the same occupation.

That's pretty wild! I always thought that the worms were farmed instead of gathered like that. Good luck with the new job. I am sure it will work out great.

Right now I am retired against my will due to a bad back. Hopefully that will change soon. I work in Corrections and other areas of Law Enforcement. No pics are available.

I lead a dual life...Network Engineer for Qwest Communications by day and Foxee Bastard tier by night :lol:

Awww!! No pics!!! I have been on the other side, and you know what! Sometimes the guards turn out to be very good friends. Some are not and some inmates are right offs others are good people caught in a rat race. . Life is a bowl of cherries not a rose garden. I am glad I (knock on wood) chose to give up the life of crime. Sorry to hear about your back. I dont know your situation but 3 days a week in a pool will help you be more comfortable when you put your feet up.

If I could get a permit to grow and conservationally harvest, man I would feel that I accomplished something grand in life.

I lead a dual life...Network Engineer for Qwest Communications by day and Foxee Bastard tier by night :lol:

I have seen a few pics of you, you seem like a big boy. I am sure that when you row up north to visit me, and check out some of Canada's wilderness. You will be lugging the beer. Man when you return after the journey you will be so fit the boss will look at you and say...Mike I have not seen you for 3 weeks, where did you get that beard, you deserve a raise!!

daryn, i see them things all the time digging clams, they bite. must be meat eaters??

I see them with other worms and crouphium, small flats bugs in their mouths all the time. I might have to pay you a visit some time.

Before opening my own fly and tackle shop i used to do the purchasing for a commercial fishing supply company and lobster trap builder. Before that i was working for a USA based forestry company purchasing and reselling wood to sawmills, pulp mills, veneer plants and chipping operations. All the while tying salmon flies for some of the best known shops in the salmon fishing world.

There is something to be said for taking the leap into owning your own fly shop, mainly that you should expect long hours and to have very little fishing time for yourself. It is good to be able to do something you love for a living, it is much better than the alternative.

I'm in Correction as well, and your right some of the inmates are right offs but for the most part their fairly normal guys that just got them selve jammed up. The guards for the maost part are the same, reasonable level thinking people with good hearts. Do you harvest your worms at night? Thats how they do it here in Ontario.

Im currently unemployed, after my boss decided he was gonna call me a motherfu@#er, but Im sure somethin will come along.

I like my job but it involves a lot of driving around...which on a weekend on Cape Cod makes me wonder if its time for a change...perferably something at either involves punching people in the face or using profanity towards elderly drivers or yard sale organizers.

My wife says I suffer from Road Rage...I disagree I think I suffer from an over whelming sense of justice. Like when you pull to the side of the road to make room for the ambulance and three cars pass you...oh yeah there's some definite Road Justice that needs to be had. In fact if Superman didn't have the ability to fly, nigh-invulverability, and super strength he'd be just like me bringing justice to the roads of Metropolis with his caped middle finger and a vast vocabulary of Kryptonian curses.

Awww!! No pics!!! I have been on the other side, and you know what! Sometimes the guards turn out to be very good friends. Some are not and some inmates are right offs others are good people caught in a rat race. . Life is a bowl of cherries not a rose garden. I am glad I (knock on wood) chose to give up the life of crime. Sorry to hear about your back. I dont know your situation but 3 days a week in a pool will help you be more comfortable when you put your feet up.

If I could get a permit to grow and conservationally harvest, man I would feel that I accomplished something grand in life.

Nope, no pics. The last time I worked the facility housed the worst of the worst. These were inmates that were anywhere from 14 to 21 years of age and at that age most of them have no consideration for life. Fights were a daily event. I started working shortly after it opened up and at first it was riot after riot. We got that knocked out. The inmate on officer and inmate on inmate assualts never stopped. I was shanked 6 times by two inmates at once. The punks wanted to be moved from our facility to a maximum security unit. At the end of the ride they got their wish but it was a long road to recovery.

Alot of them were good people. In fact there are alot of them that I liked.

Yep, and the pool helps alot with the back. I have been in the water alot lately and it plus walking has helped me more than anything else.

If I was you I would try to get a permit to grow them. Not sure how much it is, but surely it would be worth it.

Take Care,

Ronnie Ladd

Well my bags plumbing. I've had my own plumbing business for 28 years been working at it for 34 years, wrenches are starting to get a little heavy. :D Don't think ya's need pictures I'm sure you get the idea. :D