Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cowboytroutjunkie

cabelas light

The Cabelas light uses an incandescent lightbulb which will get hot. Find one with a flourscent light bulb, much cooler.

I think it is Stonefly company that makes a focused multiple LED light

bulbs never go out, no power use, strange light that it gives off

just a thought

it's a bit pricier

I bought a light on sale at J.Stockard a while back, it uses flourescent daylight bulbs. I love it , it's made by the daylight company and looks like an Ott light.

Got the little OTT-lite at Staples. I think it was around $40. It has the clear-vision bulb not the true color bulb. It still is pretty good. The true color buld is about $13 and will plug in to it.

The only drawback is that it shines down, so I need to place it above my vise, which is a bit awkward.

Hi folks!

I need to preface this by saying this is my first post on this forum and I know little or nothing about tying flies. Most of my related experience comes from close work refinishing fine gunstocks and the fact that I am a photographer by trade & therefore work with lighting everyday. I’m guessing that something approaching the blue color of daylight would be best for this kind of work. I’ve had good luck using a cheap 4 foot fluorescent fixture (“shop light”) with one daylight balanced tube and one cheap cool white. If I can suspend one or two such fixtures over my work area (the closer the better) the soft light wraps around the objects I’m trying to see and doesn’t seem to tire my eyes like other more intense lights do. One or two pieces of white poster board, foam core or aluminum foil over cardboard can be used to redirect some of the light too.

Thanks!

Hamp