Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Need species ID for this dragonfly

Can someone help me identify the species for this dragonfly? I have a bunch more pictures of it from many different angles, and close ups of all of it's body parts, as well as measurements of each body part. I am gonna tie one and would like to know what species it is before I do. Hopefully this picture will give you what yo need to make a postive ID but if it isn't let me know what part you need to see better and I'll post a better picture of it.

IPB Image

Thanks

OLB-

I believe it to be a Skimmer (Libellulidae), specifically a Cherry-faced Meadowhawk (Sympetrum internum) male.

Are they supposed to be in my area? Looking at this map

Odonata of Michigan

It shouldn't be this far south. I am in Otsego County, which is about 2 mouse pointers south of where the upper penninsula meets the lower penninsula. Looking at the picture of it though it looks like an exact match to what I caught yesterday

That little brown fella is what the bass are absolutly killin on the top of the water where Im fishin, they will hover about an inch over the water and the bass are jumping out to getem, I have been using an Au Sable Wulff and killin em here in WV.

Are they supposed to be in my area? Looking at this map

Odonata of Michigan

It shouldn't be this far south. I am in Otsego County, which is about 2 mouse pointers south of where the upper penninsula meets the lower penninsula. Looking at the picture of it though it looks like an exact match to what I caught yesterday

OLB-

Distribution checklists (and maps portraying them) are only as accurate and comprehensive as is the reporting on which they are based, which can vary widely from state to state.

In other words, the fact that the referenced distribution map doesn't reflect a verified sighting of Sympetrum internum in Otsego County certainly doesn't preclude their existence there.

Here's to both of you. :drunk: :thumbup:

Mike

Mike-

Thanks. Have you used your new camera to photograph any aquatic insects?

Hi all,

I've been gone a while, hence the lack of posts.

One note about the USGS web site. Although it's a great start, especially for the stonefly section, many of the distribution lists are woefully inadequate. They are really just a synthesis of what the authors have seen in the literature, and it's an obviously incomplete survey. Also, the records have often not been updated for some time. Much better work with Odonata has been done by Thomas Donnelly in Bulletin of American Odonatology and by Dennis Paulson on his Slater Museum site at the University of Puget Sound, as well as with the efforts of many regional Odonata sites.

With regards to Odonata, and Sympetrum internum in Michigan, it's just an example of the problems with web pages - they're often not peered reviewed. Now, the Michigan Odonata Society, has been surveying odonates in our state since 1997. There are over 25,000 records in the database, including for Sympetrum internum. As you can see, this species occurs in the Otsego County area. Hence, Roger's comments are right on target! Further, the MOS records are viewable on their database, and one can always arrange with the museum to examine the specimen.

One should also note the many contributions made by non-scientists, i.e., naturalists like many of you, who take an interest in science, ecology, and nature, and wish to assist research projects. Thus, the MOS, for example, has done a great job in surveying Michigan Odonata. This is the same for a host of other regional sites.

Cheers, Ethan