Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
antelope

hackle and supplies

hello all,

I was wondering where people purchase their tying supplies. thread/floss, hackle, hooks, etc.. I've come across some places on the web and a couple places locally (WNY). Are there any retailers or online sites that people prefer? As far as online merchants go, what has your experience been? If anyone if from western or central new york do you know of any shops that carry a good range of fly tying supplies?

Thanks for any input. I'm new here :ban:

I order online when I need to, otherwise I like to support the local ma & pop fly fishing emporium. Would rather not use the big boys like Cabela's if I don't need to. AS far as online, try J. Stockard, good guys.

Thanks for the quick reply. I havent bought anything from Cabela's before and as you said, I also like to supoort the local merchants whenever possible..

No, the antelope does not refer to the scoutmaster training in which baden-powell presented Zulu chieftain wood beads found during his time in South Africa. Good guess tho.

just ordered from J. Stockard, had good fast service. my olive thread is back ordered but he said it'd go out this week. i plan on using him for my supplies from here on out. hes got a nice web site too -chris

you mentioned CNY:

three places come to mind.

in auburn there is a bass pro shop - not the best selection but selection none the less and depending who is working there, you might get some good info.

in syracuse - the troutfitter - right on erie blvd.

good selection and excellent advice

in clay - just north of syracuse - gander mountain

ok selection, probably the least expensive

don't count on any advice

if you want to go farther north, there are tons of places in pulaski (on the salmon river). take your pick.

don't know if you want to travel this far but...

i will have to look into J. Stockard.. browsed the site yesterday, seems like they sell a good deal of stuff. there is a gander mountain locally and the oak orchard fly shop (which i still have to check out). gander has low prices but their selection is hit or miss. and i'm not that familiar with all the different materials so it helps to take a close look before purchasing anything. no advice from the empoyees, usually get more of a rection like "oh, that looks cool. what's it for?"

went to the pulaski area about a month ago but with gas prices being what they are, long trips are getting tougher. however, i'd like to get out to the adirondacks again soon.

For hackle and feathers its always best to go to a shop to buy them. You can sometimes take the capes and saddles out of the package and check for quality.

For just about everything else, the online stores are OK.

J. Stockard is a good one as well as others.

As a beginner tyer, I would go to the fly shops because they can help you personally pick out materials vs typing in an order on the internet. Once you have become a better tyer and are more knowedgeable in tying materials then try out the internet shops.

:headbang: WW Doak in Doaktown, New Brunswick, Canada. Pretty good guys for Atlantic salmon supplies.

The FlyShack shouldnt be too far from you:

[email protected]

Phone

1-800-801-2318

Postal Mail

The Fly Shack

15 West Fulton St.

Gloversville, NY, 12078

And Western New York Fly Shop is out by Cortland.

If you get down to Roscoe, there's a guide shop on main street that ties their own flies and has supplies. It's on the right side as you face the bridge. If you get to the grocery store, you went too far.

I would recommend that you go to Oak Orchard Fly Shop, the staff is very knowledgeable and they have a ton of stuff in stock. The guys there are always willing to help and answer questions, I have had little questions about how to tie something, and they jump on the vise and show me how they do it. You cant order that service online. The only reason I would go to Gander Mtn for fly tying stuff is the bargain bins, I have found Keough hackle capes for around $8 (its very hit-or-miss what you find in there).

Hope this helps,

Adam

Antelope have anything to do with Woodbadge??

If you don't understand that, then the answer is no.

Chase Creek - Yet another SM or ASM :headbang: :headbang: I love this site. I was hoping to work on the Woodbadge this year, but work took precedence. Maybe next year, if I can find a council in NJ offering it.

Antelope - I purchase most material from J Stockard or FTD (Been very satisfied with both). I did find a Shop in NJ but it's neither very local, nor is it small.

You guys realize that antelope asked that supply question 3 years ago and has probably moved on to another hobby, seeing as though he has not been active since 2007. Having said this I guess someone else may read this and it would be helpful for this new info. I use 2 places J Stockard (our sponser) and Chris Helm, nuff said.