Fly Tying
bugcam

I call it a SWAMP WITCH !

post-5937-1153363523_thumb.jpg

I just logged in yesterday, I love everyones pictures and advice! I like the laid back open positive attitude here. Here is a pic of a fly that I tyed last weekend. I used screen window foam, black thread, 4 ply yarn (split) and some Lulu (black lab) hair and some Round Rubber Legs (Superfly) RRL-09-M, and a misc. black hook. Inspired by a chernobly ant and a parachute humpy and the pirates of the carribean movie. Looks like it bites! What catagory might this be in and what fish might be attracted to it? Oh, should I burn the ends of the yarn so it won't lose its shape? I hope the pic shows up, if not ooops, I will try again! Bugcam

P.S. Contests and swaps look awesome!

Welcome to the forum bugcam, hope you enjoy your time here!

For only tying a couple flies I must say that your fly looks spectacular and it shows you have alot of creativity. If you were going to fish this fly I would probably recommend a lighter wire hook, the heavy hook that you used might drag your fly underwater. Other than that, I say go out and fish it. I would guess that a pond full of gills will give you a days worth of fun :headbang:

:blink: I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like that thing in my life, and for that to be your third fly you are doing great, and I give ya mad props on the creativity of the materials!!! :headbang:

Hey bugcam,

I was also struck by the creativity of your fly, looks amazingly well tyed for a beginner. I was just reading your other post, had a look at your profile, and wondered if you'd be tying with Lulu's hair. And yes, here is a fly tyed with dog hair. Cool stuff!!!

Graham

IPB Image

Thanks for the replies! Any idea what catagory of fly that might be? Dry, wet, terrestrial, freekin' odd and what kind of fish might think its good eatin? That foam was pretty thick to work with!

Good looking fly! I'd say it is a trrestrial as it looks like an ant that walked through a nuclear blast zone... :dunno:

Great looking fly! Also great job on using around-the-house materials. That's half the fun, creating something out of stuff meant for something else. And that fly will catch its share of gills. Nice job.