Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

FlyTyingForum.com Hats

Here's my first go at designing a hat and was curious to see what you all thought about the hat. If there is some moderate interest in the hat I will go ahead with getting a dozen or so made. This is a digitized version of the hat and not the actual printing so it may look a little weird to you.

post-2-1061563267.jpg

There doesn't seem to be an overwhelming response here Smallie. Keep it under twenty bucks and I'll take one.

Yea I'm gonna keep working on it, from the calls that I made the hats should only cost everyone about $12 each. It's gonna be around a month or so before I get some made and I know this is not the final design I was just seeing what type of feedback/suggestion I could get. Not trying to make any $$ off the caps, I'd just like to break even!

What type of work will be done? You have to remember, most will ad a setup fee. Whether it be screenprinting or embroidery. I've done alot of research into this, since I'm going to have jackets and hats made for my business (have some very steady clients who I'll give hats free to). Hats will run about $14 each, and those are really nice fitted style hats. BUT, there's like a $75 one time setup fee. Plus they prefer you to buy in a bigger bulk, or you have to add more $$ per hat to cut the amount wanted. I keep wanting to say they wanted like 50 hats at a time. I deliver to a couple embroidery shops, and know of a couple big one's here in WA. All pretty standard procedure.

Personally, I'd wait until the site got a bit bigger. Let the board grow, then do the hat thing.

Thought I'd show you one of our hats. Doesn't show whole thing, but you'll see how nice the embroidery is. This was a post about a jig pin I designed. We have fly brooch pins for flyfisherman, but the jig guys don't have anything. So, I made one. Put it on my summer fishing hat (I have this khaki one for the summer, and a green oilskin for the winter)

user posted image

But the site has been around for about 5-6 years. Has a big following. My flyfishing area has been around, but it's still in it's growing stages. I took it over a few months ago and have rebuilt it from ground up. But give it time. You may have more orders then you can imagine. biggrin.gif

Yea I defiently see what your saying! The only reason I have considered it at this point was I have talking with a local embroidery place who quoted me a set-up charge of $45 and around $8 - $10 per hat. They also said the minimum order was only 12 hats. I explained to them over the phone what type of hat I was looking for so I haven't seen the quality of the hat, but I do know they do nice embroidery work(they do the emb for all the local schools). If I could get enough interest since the minimum is only 12 hats I would do it.

Yeah, there are always companies that will cut, or charge lower setup fees. But I'd really investigate the hats. I know all embroidery companies buy from the same companies. And at that rate, either the embroidery company isn't making much profit, or they're using of the screen back/foam front hats (they still have those). You'll also want to check what the stitch limit is. From your design, doesn't look that bad. But some companies dictate by stitch count. I'd check that out. Save you the hassle later on. My problem, with my old company design I had, was heavy into stitch counts. Looked cool, but was a pain to have embroidered unless it was a full sized person that was on the back of a jacket. Small images were blurry on hats.

I did email them the logo already and that is when they gave me the $45 for the set-up fee quote. I agree about the possible quality of the hats, but I explained exactly what I wanted and they looked it up in the catalog and found what I was describing. They had some samples of the hats so one day I'll go and take a look at them. I would never even consider getting anything made unless it was perfect!

Guest Guest_doyle007

i like the hat. put me down for one when you get ready to order. i'm sure that i'll get some of the locals interested in the site on the beaches that i frequent.

Calvin,

I will keep you posted on the hats. My best guess is the hats will be made late Sept/early Oct.

tan is good, as well is green...i like 'em, boy!!! You done good!! LOL you know i'm in for whatever!!