Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Record Tarpon, eh?

I remember on the flyfisherman forum there were guys saying "impossible" the minute that the story hit. After just a couple days, they were proven right.

What really fried me was how many people congratulated him and asked how he did it, and he answered everyone very thoroughly, no matter the detail of the question.

I ranted enough on this when the story broke, so I'll save the space.

Derek

Thanks for posting that...I remember that I was polite and said I didn't beleive it but it was possible.. the words"that it was possible" was me being polite. I didn't beleive it for a second. Naturally if the old man in Heminways book could do it..but that was fiction and I suppose somewhere at sometime some did do it. There are con men everywhere and fishing records are easy for them to get into.

biggrin.gif

having never fished for any saltwater species, even I knew something was amiss. Maybe it was the old cop instincts, but the story just didn't make a lot of sense. In the initial article, he was way too concerned with the description of the boat and his pilots skills than he was telling about actually setting a new record...it just sounded rehearsed...and when I was "active" I learned quickly that rehearsed meant "lie"....again, I say, "TOLD YOU SO, TOLD YOU SO, TOLD YOU SO!!!"

couldn't resist! wink.gif