Fly Tying
rovercat

Brierwood Hair Stacker

I do not tie flies but have been working on turning out a nice hair stacker. The inner brass tube is OD 1/2 inch. The base has a brass bottom and is weighted. I had posted a photo of my first one on the other sit. This is much nicer.

Brian

IPB Image

IPB Image

Impressive!

I wood work but don't turn. Lathes freak me out. Might be interesting to do something like this by shaping it in another way, though.

Nicely done, and nicely photographed.

SWEET! Nice work Brian, I see you've mastered that lathe Gary brought you!

That's going to be an heirloom some day. I can just imagine how that stacker will look 50 years from now... Real good work and nice pics.

man i love working on the lathe

the first thing i ever made was a mini Baseball Bat in shop class in 8th grade :headbang:

sure wish i had one here at home

I've never worked with a wood lathe, only a steel one. I imagine the two are similar.

That's a good looking piece you've got there.

Thanks for the feed back folks.

As to selling one. I put this one on eBay just to see how it goes. The wood is MEDITERRANEAN BRIARWOOD FROM ITALY.

down2earthlv I have worked most of my life in creative fields and I have come to belive that there is no difference between talent and desire. There are a few of these that have ended up in the trash inm the road to figuering out how I wanted to do it.

Brian

I know how that is....my dad runs a machine shop, for heavy duty steel stuff though....I learned the trade and made tons of shift knobs and pedal covers...never been much good at wood. But then again, lathe jaws that open to 24'' aren't really suited for hair stackers....lol

I was just curious, because I know that would make a great christmas present! If you ever consider selling one, shoot me a PM......