Fly Tying
Waldog

Trimming Hackle

:devil: I know this is going to be sacreligious, and I ask for forgiveness up front! I want to tie some California Coachman's and they use yellow floss (easy to get) and bright yellow hackle, (Imposible to get). I can't find ANY yellow hackle in small sizes (12-14). The only yellow hackle I can find is probably used for salt water flies and is signifcantly larger than I need. Here's the sacrelegious question. Is is possible/feasable to use the larger hackle and then carefully trim it back to proper length after the flie is tied? If you haven't guessed already, I'm a pretty new to tying after a rather long hiatus of about 40 years. Thanks!

I don't see why not, many of the dries I tie get the hackle trimmed to a upside down "V" shape, and my elk hair caddis gets the bottom trimmed. Have you thought about dying?

i dont know...when i started tying i had no clue what hackle size to use so u trimmed it...i think it makes the fly look different..thats just me though...i dont like the way it looks but then again i am wierd like that...for me everything has to be perfect.

That's my thought as well. Trimming DOES make the fly look a little different but, I really don't care as long as the FISH DON'T CARE. As far a dyeing goes, how do I do it and what type of dye?

That's my thought as well. Trimming DOES make the fly look a little different but, I really don't care as long as the FISH DON'T CARE. As far a dyeing goes, how do I do it and what type of dye?

To be honest I don't think 99% of the fish will care. When you think about it hackle is supposed to do 2 things, give the fly more surface area to float better, and somehow represent legs. I say somehow cause I can't stand that it doesn't look anything like legs, but thats just me :lol: I think as long as it's giving you the surface tension you need to keep it from sinking, it will be fine.

Yeah trimmed hackle just doesn't have a "nice" look to it like the properly sized hackle will, an don't get me wrong, you should always try and use the right size whenever possible.

Heres a link to an article by Redwings1 in Hatches

Dye Job

Kool-Aid is also supposed to work well. TroutBum gave me this link for using it.

Dying With Kool-Aid

I really hate the look of a fly that has had it's hackle trimmed to proper length, I feel it looks messy. I am sure it has little effect on the usage of the fly and its results it is more personal preference. I strongly suggest getting into dying your own hackle. You can have the hackle any colour and any shade that your heart desires. I know there is a dun here that I can't find the proper shade so I started dying my own and never looked back.

As for trimming a "v" in the hackle in the bottom of the fly, I do that on, I think, all my dry flies.

Hope this helps,

Jay

Really the easiest thing to do is dye your own hackle. Dying with Kool Aid is easy, but yellow isn't one of the colors that Kool Ad will give you. (well, it will but it looks like crap) Veniard dyes are the best but are expensive.

Good Day,

If you don't want to dye, get decent white or cream dry fly hackle and a good yellow permanent marker. I have done this several times over the years with no problem.

Also, don't be afraid to trim the hacckle. Here in Michigan many our streams do not have the heavy riffle water as other locations, in fact many of our rivers are mostly slick. So I trim to get the body in the film. It can really make all the difference.

Steelie

GO AHEAD AND TRIM DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY AND CATCHES FISH. ALSO ON A SIDE NOTE YOU CAN GET YELLOW HACKLE FROM WHITING FARMS. THEY MAKE A BROAD RANGE OF COLORS AND SIZES. YOU CAN ORDER THERE HUNDRED PACKS IN THE SIZE YOU WANT. JUST HAVE YOUR LOCAL FLY SHOP PLACE THE ORDER. OR CALL WHITING YOURSELF :headbang:

Regardless of whether you like the look or not, most of your larger, died hackles are gonna have a lot of webbing. When you trim them back, your gonna get into the webbing and lose the good stuff that helps the floatation.

:D Redkid:

Thanks for the link. The "ugly fly" system is going to be very helpful. After trimming, my flies look almost exactly like this method. I think I'll go back and cut a "V" in the hackle. Seems to make the fly a little less ugly! I think I'll try a bright yellow permanent marker on a few of my lighter grizzly hackles and see what happens as well.

Thanks again!! (Maybe my question wasn't so sacreligious after all!!)

I'm glad I could help you :)

Maybe you can also THIS , but replace the rabit hair shown there with the tips of the hackle fibers ( because they have less webbing ). Make sure you wax the thread of the "dubbing" loop before you put the fibers in, or else you will probably drop them before you can spin.. done that :D

Later,

Mihai

OLB, the representation of hackel to leggs is the way it skitters in the water, by breaking up the surface. One easy way to see this is take a dry and drop it in the water in front of you, and jiggle your rod, and notice how it looks like a buggs leggs kickin the water, its almost exact.

redkid -

I can't read French, but got the point on the 'hackle'. What is the body material on that fly? It looks like severely trimmed hackle. Is that right? Never seen it before.