Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

Do you like your bench?

Ray: Building is just a hobby. For living I work as a code monkey so this building hobby is nice change to do something totally different.

IPB Image

oatka: Sorry about this, I had to do it. I hope one day you can live this down...

Btw, the bench idea is from site: http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/tying_bench/

IPB Image

- jp

You guys have some great looking tying areas.

here is the last picture of mine, it is almost a year old. Not much has changed except that i moved it to a different wall and have my buck from 2004 hanging above it.

I will take a new photo soon.

post-1597-1163426220_thumb.jpg

I have a chest like the one in Crotalus' post above. He may have been the one that brought it to everyone's attention last year. At any rate, you could get them at Lowes last Christmas for $60. They don't stock them year round-it was a special for Christmas. Don't know if they will have them this year or not but they are one heck of a nice chest for $60.

I got mine at Lowes last year from one of the posts on here.

Where in Lowe's do they stock these cabinets? I'd like to buy a couple if I can find them!

Mozes, I got to tell you, carrying those tablets down the mountain really built your chest up!

Ray

I got mine at Lowes last year from one of the posts on here.

Where in Lowe's do they stock these cabinets? I'd like to buy a couple if I can find them!

Mozes, I got to tell you, carrying those tablets down the mountain really built your chest up!

Ray

I would just ask at the customer service desk. They dont stock them year round, only at the holidays.

Man, I knew it.

I knew reading this post would start the ol' debit card on fire in my wallet! After some of those awe-inspiring tying stations, it's gonna be rough to go home to the much-used, government-issued random desk I have in our spare room. I move bases in about a year, so I really don't want to set up something too permanent, but once I finally settle down somewhere (please oh please Elmendorf, Alaska!), this thread will be my inspiration to build the ULTIMATE TYING STATION!

I,ve recently become a browser of the local dollar stores. They have many things fly tyers and rod builders can use. I recently found plastic drewer organizers that stack on top of each other and have now organized all my feathers that were previously in shoe boxes.

well so far I'm in collecting the multi drawer organizers, multi drawer parts bins, peg boards to hang bags of materials, thread spool organizers, as well as large containers for mass collections of supplies. I have plenty of supplies now. It's just a matter of organizing it all. As I'm sure most all here have noticed. It doesnt matter how much space, or storage room you have, you will run out eventuallly. We will always get more supplies, thnx to sales, as well as ideas for newer tying areas. My thoughts are these. As long as you can tie the flies for the area in which you are in, on the table, desk, etc and store all the supplies you need in a way that you can easily find them then you have what you need. But, if you are tying at the kitchen table, and getting to tie a few flies, then clean it all up, then set up again when wanting to tie then a setup is definately needed. I think the best setup I have seen so far for a lets call it mobile set up would be the rolling chest. its roomy, and stores alot. This thread could go on for years. but its a goody!

I believe I have found a very nice looking, adaptable, expandable, pressed wood, laminated, supposedly closet oriented solution to some of our flytying storage problems. I went to Lowe's looking for the small storage box mentioned earlier in this thread. I didn't find it, BUT they do have an expandable cabinet unit that appears to have the ability to be as small as 2ft X 6ft to larger than that, if you have the room to expand by 2ft X 6ft segments, and I think it would look pretty good.

The price for this would be between $100.00 to $150.00 per unit depending on what you needed or wanted. I am working on a couple of things right now, but once done, I'm moving my metal storage shelves out and a couple of these units in. The shelves can be adjusted to hold organizers like Damian (CapeBSalar) has on his desk in his tying room:

IPB Image

Plus, there are drawers for storage, so you can have a large quantity of materials at your disposal close to you without having a mess to sort through.

Next time your at Lowe's, go to the Organizer section; its marked with a large ceiling sign something to that effect, and see what you think. I looked online for a picture, but there were none like those I saw here.

Ray

post-4936-1164839973_thumb.jpgpost-4936-1164840097_thumb.jpgwell I can finally post a few pics of my own tying area now. :yahoo: The pics I have are of the area before I got more cabinets, and was able to rearange everything. The problem I'm having now is getting the darn thing to focus right. But here's a few for now, and when my buddy comes over later to give me a crash course in digital photography, I'll post some pics of new tying area.

post-4936-1164850380_thumb.jpgpost-4936-1164850458_thumb.jpgpost-4936-1164850520_thumb.jpgpost-4936-1164850577_thumb.jpgwell, these are the new pics just taken tonite. still cant figure out why the pics are somewhat outta color or blurry. But, anyways this here is my temporary tying station for the next few months till we can get into the new house. My own tying room...... :yahoo: It's not much for now, but still beter than none at all. Tight lines!

Mine started out as a baby changing table from a yard sale. Has 3 large drawers for materials and plenty of work top area for all that always needed stuff. Drilled a hole in the top to mount the Danvise and as you can see there is even a monitor for Virtual fly tying classes. As a novice tier, I may not have all the knowledge as some of you but I sure have what I think is a nice station to learn from.

post-7989-1164857935_thumb.jpgpost-7989-1164858013_thumb.jpg

very nice steelhead. I'm kinda jealous. My girlfriend and myself just cleaned out her storage the other day. She had a set of drawers similar, and I didnt even think to add it to my set up. Damn! :ripped: