Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brewer

my tail

im pretty happy about this, and also a bit confused. ive been trying to marry the turkey tail into some wings since my first married wing, and it just wouldnt marry.....but i finally got it.

only the short side of my tail will marry, is this normal???

IPB Image

im pretty happy about this, and also a bit confused. ive been trying to marry the turkey tail into some wings since my first married wing, and it just wouldnt marry.....but i finally got it.

only the short side of my tail will marry, is this normal???

IPB Image

They'll both marry - but the bad side not so well - the main issue is the re-curve you usually see on the bad side and the fact the fibres are softer and finer.

Dave

PS Why are you marrying onto turkey still on the tail? strikes me as damned awkward.

just an example dave, either my camera sux, or i cant take picture....i suspect the latter.

but this was the best way to describe it.

that makes alot of sense though, if my goose fibres are so big, (say 2/0), and im trying to marry to a 4-5 inch feather....mission impossible

common sense prevails

Brewer, Are you saying you can't marry goose to the other side of that Turkey? if the fibers marry to themselves they will marry to another fiber (assumming the turkey is clean). The fibers you married to the left side of that Turkey will not marry to the right side... you need the right side goose (from the right of the rachii) to marry to the right side turkey.

royce, im saying i cant marry anything to the long side of the tails, (ive tried several), and ive washed, steamed, and washed again, but cant get my goose to stick!, on the short end....no problem, on the long....no go!

i have tried left, and right side of goose btw, just doesnt want to co-operate.

Try washing all of the feathers in warm soapy water. Shake them as they dry to realign the barbules and generally fluff the feathers back into their natural shapes. Sounds like dirty feathers. Sometimes it takes several washings to restore feathers.

Sign in to follow this