Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
down2earthlv

ATTN: Bugologists!

Any ideas as to what this turns into? Found him crawling on the restroom/ hole in the ground, near Kolob Reservoir Utah....Zion Park area..... a little over 2 inches long...... didn't turn him over, I don't know if that would help with identification.....

I think I'm starting to get this macro photo thing down....like the pics? suggestions?

post-3723-1157249580_thumb.jpg

post-3723-1157249601_thumb.jpg

post-3723-1157249620_thumb.jpg

A TIGER MOTH!!! I know those guys!!! Thanks Taxon...I did a bit of research on the name Grammia parthenice, I found an article that refered to the larvae of this family are commonly refered to as 'wooly bears' (I can see why) ....I wonder if that has any connection with our classic 'wooly bugger'?

One more quick question...It's been a good while since my high school biology classes and I can't remember.... Why is it that the 'g' in Grammia is capitalized, but the 'p' in parthenice is not?

d2e-

The short answer is convention. Scientific names are expressed as a binomial, which is composed of the genus, which is capitalized, and the species, which is not capitalized. For more on this subject, see my Zoological Classification page.

Thanks, Fred. My goal is to express entomology concepts in language that I can easily understand. My assumption being that, if I can understand it, then probably anyone can.

I sure hope so.....all of the pics from Kolob turned out pretty sweet. I know the lack of sun really helped out, I hate to jinx the trip but I hope for at least one overcast day! Have you seen any of jeff's pics?