Fly Tying
Hamp

Who are your favorite (& not so) Suppliers?

First of all I’d like to give a sincere thanks to our sponsor J. Stockard … and I’d also like to mention that I’ve heard only good things about them.

That said, I’d like to round up some information from folks here concerning suppliers of tools, materials, storage or anything else that they like and use. I’d also like to hear if anyone has any LIGITIMATE gripes with suppliers they have done business with. I’m like a bunch of people here with no decent local sources and therefore have to rely on the internet. I buy a bunch of stuff on Ebay and have had mostly good experience there. (Blake at Wilderness Angler has treated me very well) I’m not rich so saving a buck or two is always welcome. At the same time, price isn’t everything. Quality stuff and decent service at a reasonable price can be hard to come by. Shipping charges add up too. Whatcha think?

Thanks!

Hamp

I buy most of my stuff at Sportsman's Warehouse.

We have a local Fly Fishing shop here but I always prefer going to SW over them. The selection is great and the prices are spot on. Not to mention that I know pretty much everybody there.

On eBay, Hilltop Fly Fishing has great service and nice prices also.

It's weird but I really don't like buying stuff at fly fishing shops. I always feel very self concious when I go into them. I have run into quite a few elitists who make snide comments whenever I refer to bait and lure fishing. I do it all. Fishing is fishing is fishing. If I catch a nice fish on a lure, I don't like hearing somebody telling me that I really didn't catch it if it wasn't on a fly. It gets old and is lame. That's the main reason why I like this forum so much, I don't run into the elitist attitudes here. I think that is great.

There are two fly shops that I really did have a good experience at here in Colorado. One is Duranglers down in Durango, CO and the other was Rigs Fly Shop in Ridgeway, CO. Those guys at both of those places were awesome and extremely helpful.

For hooks and such Gypsyflyrods(on E-Bay) is hard to beat.. Good prices and a very nice person to deal with!

Good Day,

No bad ones yet, only good experiences so far...

Orvis (online)

Thoranapple Outfitters, Grand Rapids Mi

Great Lakes Outfitters, Rockford Mi

Baldwin Bait and Tackle, Baldwin Mi

Schmidt's Outfitters, Wellston Mi

J. Stockard (online)

The Fly Tying Dungeon (online)

Hatchmasters (online)

AE Flyshop (online)

All are excellent in their own ways. All give incredible customer service!

Steelie

Lately all I have ordered is from saltwaterflies.com and there is really nothing to say but INCREDIBLE. If you are looking for service and cost and tie salt or big fresh thats the place.

I get most of my supplies from wholesalers here in Canada.

I have ordered from J. Stockard and was very very pleased.

I do buy quite a bit of stuff on Ebay as well and have had great experiences.

Hamp, I too have to get most things on line. My favorites are Jstockard; very good service, selection and good prices. I also like madriveroutfitters.com. They have a smaller selection but VERY fast service and free

shipping on orders over $25. Feather-craft in my experience is a little slower, but they often have that

hard to find item the others don't. Their prices are also slightly higher.

I used to like Hook & Hackle. At one time it was my second choice. His prices are often the best.

However, since the business has changed hands I have been very unhappy with the service. My last two

orders both were incomplete due to back ordered items. I am very dissapointed in the current service.

I would still use him due to the low prices. I would not use him for something I needed in a hurry.

One last thought is traditional angler. I think his shipping is a little high but I have never had a bad experience.

Also his selection is limited.

I hope this helps and as always your mileage could vary

regards

-Tom

I usually try to stay with the local shop. If not, I order through Feather-Craft. They have been very good to me over the past few years that I have ordered from them and I would have no qualms about recommending them to anyone. Theriault Flies in Patten Maine is a decent source of "off the wall" items. I have purchased quite a bit from English Anglers when Jim Krul still owned it. I have had nothing but problems with the new owner and will not buy from them again. I guess mostly, I will continue to stay local if I can. The shop has treated me well .. which they should since I have helped pay their mortgage with some of my purchases lately. :hyst:

Mike

This is one of the things I love about this Forum. In less then 24 hours I got back reliable information on some sources I’ve spotted but knew nothing about AND got great recommendations for a bunch of places I never knew existed!!! I have some items on order from a couple of places right now so hopefully I’ll be able to add a little more information to this thread myself. Thanks All!

If I can't get something locally, I still try an order as close to me as possible just so I'm not waiting a week to get my stuff. I've had very good experiences with:

www.linesend.com

www.stoneriveroutfitters.com

J. Stockard

Can't say that I've ever had a bad experience on-line but I do try and stick to the more established outfits.

-Bamboo

With no fly shops within 120 miles, I've usually made about one large order every two years or so. The places I've used have been (all online)

Linesend

Jann's Netcraft

Cabela's

Next year is about time for another order, and I plan on taking a good look at J.Stockard, to see how it compares. I've had very few problems. In fact the only problem I've really had was when Cabela's sent me 12 spools of fluorescent pink thread by mistake, when I ordered three. I conjtacted them, and they said to just keep it, since it would cost more to send back than the thread was worth. Any one need pink thread??

Mark Delaney

J Stockard is my favorite right now. And not just because they are the site sponsor, but because they get my orders to me within 3 days most times, James and Kate are super fast to respond to questions, and they have a great selection. Besides Stockard I use ebay for some materials but thats always a little scarey because you are taking a chance and I have got some materials that just didnt look as good in person as they did in the ebay pics :unsure:

I know of some guys that really like fly tyers dungeon but I have not used them yet myself. And same goes for Hook&Hackle.