Fly Tying
CrustySpinnr

Coyote Fur

Does anyone tie with or know of any patterns that require coyote fur? They are pretty thick around here

and my in-laws do quite a bit of hunting. I figured maybe it might come in handy.

Hi Crusty,

I recently had my friend Nick Pionessa show me a muddler using coyote fur for the wing and tail. The fur is long, soft, and has some nice barring on it. The body was made from a mylar material-very reflective. The collar and head were fashioned from mule deer, which worked quite well when spun. I'd say coyote could be very useful given its characteristics.

Mark

Make sure to get rid of the bugs...fleas are usually thick on them varmints. If you have access to some the worst that can happen is you dont like it. It should make some real nice hair wings

looks like he caught that wascally varmitt!

I've got 2 coyote pelts but, never tyed with them. I suppose in this neck of the woods (Pacific NW) I could use it to tye streamers for Dogfish :rolleyes:

Or maybe some wet flies for Catfish... :hyst:

just joking...

Relly watch out for the fleas and Ticks in them though. All they eat is dead or sickly animals that are usually loaded with parasites.

I believe if properly tanned they would make some nice hair wing flies, Streamers and wet flies though and as previously mentioned ,it takes up dye easily.

I would mostly be shaving the thing. Never had any experience with tanning hides,cept when my Dad caught me swearin when I was 8. If anyone knows how to tan it I would appreciate the info. I'm sure my in-laws wouldn't mind shooting another one. All the coyote's do around here is kill deer and domestic sotck.