Fly Tying
tightlines

Wading boots

I have heard that by the time you get to the river they are caked up with leaves/snow/mud .......

Guess its not a problem once you step in the water

Whats the difference between an ordinary waterproof boot and a wading boot??

Wadding boots have vents to let the water out so they don't weigh a thousand pounds on you feet. Mike Barrand

just bought the Simms Stealth boots and loves them. They are not all that cheap though. You could always go to Canadian Tire and buy a cheap pair of hunting boots and vent and stud them your self, that would last you untill you want to spend the money on the Simms and they would work great for steelheading!

Paul

Felt soles are only a problem for me when walking in the snow (it's like walking on ice skates when it builds up) or slipping down a muddy hill side. In the water you mostly have to watch for clay shelfs, at least in Michigan.

Felt sucks in the winter, as soon as ya walk 25 feet on the land, presto instant Ice, till ya get back in the water.

Carver

by vent them, do you just mean drill holes in them. Any place in particular??

Thanks

I am looking at a set of Simms felt studdeds wade boots, but probably wont pick them up till start of regular season up here (april) (the boots are on back order)

I just got my first ever pair of wading boots from Bass Pro Shop. They were $30. I haven't tried them yet, but they seem pretty sturdy. :dunno:

I just got a pair of the Korkers Outfitters for my Sims Classic Guide waders...I absolutely love em. Plus they come with both rubber and felt soles and you can buy studded felt or studded rubber soles for em as well. If you arent dead set on the sole material you want, check out the korkers

well...keep your eyes peeled...I picked up mine for $70 at a local fly shop (they decided to not carry them next year because of sale requirements or something...the guy in charge of stocking items owns them and hands down loves them...never takes off his carbide spiked rubber soles and has put miles in them over the last year and a half). I am also on a tight budget and still would have hands down paid the full price for them...worth every penny. Of course...when it comes to my feet I would rather spend a little extra $ to have boots that are COMFORTABLE and I can hike a few miles in them without discomfort rather than cutting $50 or so to have enough gas $ to go on maybe an extra trip or two in discomfort. Cut a trip and buy better boots...an uncomfortable fishing trip isnt worth saving $...

never takes off his carbide spiked rubber soles and has put miles in them over the last year and a half).

Yupp same here. I put the carbide stud insert into mine back in January and I have yet to take them out. They grip almost any surface better than anything I have tried. Had my Korkers for about 2 yrs now and absolutly the best boot I have ever owned so far :yahoo:

Here in MT our creekbeds are like walking on greased bowling balls. Felt soles (and even studded) are a must. I learned through the years to buy the cheap Hodgeman wading boots and just replace them every season. I've tried replacing felt but it never works out.

A friend has a new set of korkers and loves them but we'll have to see how many seasons that he gets out of them before making a judgement.

IMHO the $39.99 - $49.99 Hodgemans are the best bet.

Another nice part about the korkers...if all you use is straight felt and want to replace it every season...$20 buys you a new set of felt soles and you dont need to be a cobbler to replace it. I'm in Bozeman MTtyer and I honestly hate my felts...the slime on the rock bed of the Gallatin and Madison rivers just grinds into the felt and turns em into grease....and for snow...felt is just an accident waiting to happen...

Yep I mean drill holes in them down where the upper portion of the boot joins the the sole, right at the fold. It will just help let the water out. For Steelheading you won't beat a cheap pair of boot altered to fit your needs. Steelheading is very hard on wadding boots in our area guys, one pair lasts one season, so go cheap for the winter unless you want to drop $200 on the Simms Stealth. Just my humble opinion though gang.

Paul