Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
brokenrod

Does anyone know what chemicals are needed to liquefy goop?

Does anyone know how to liquefy goop which is what flexcement is. That is what I heard I may be wrong. What I would like to know what two chemical would liquefy goop?

Hi,

In the past I've used lacquer thinner. In recent years I've switched to Aqua Flex because I developed an alergy to Flex Cement (thinned Goop). Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

straight toluene....for vinal cement acetone, for loon products rubbing alcohol, most flex cements get thinned with Toluene..( caution may cause cancer in the state of california)

The solvent in Goop is toluene, so that will work, just try to use the stuff in a well ventilated area (toluene is flammable, and not exactly good for your liver). If you thin E6000, use should use tetrachloroethylene, but you probably have to have a friend who is a dry cleaner to get any of that. Would have answered sooner but just got back from being away for the weekend.

Mark Delaney

chemprof2001

Thanks for the information. Someone told me there was another chemical but I don't remember the name now it started with an N if I remember correctly. I should have written it down when the person was telling me this information. He stated that it was a 60% 40% mix. I was at some show when the subject came up.

chemprof2001

Thanks for the information. Someone told me there was another chemical but I don't remember the name now it started with an N if I remember correctly. I should have written it down when the person was telling me this information. He stated that it was a 60% 40% mix. I was at some show when the subject came up.

Possibly Napthalene...???

Several years ago,there was an article in one of the FF periodicals,I BELEIVE,by C.Boyd Peifer(SP?) that explained what to thin most of the then current fly tying glops and goops with. I have it,I know,it's just a matter of unearthing it!! If I manage,I'll post it!!

Flexament is Goop???

I'm shocked. I always thought Flexament was a variant of rubber cement. It doesn't seem to have the same smell or intensity as Goop. Is this true? Evidence please.

I use a lot of thinned E6000, and I hate the smell of tetrachloroethylene, so i use Xylene. Which is probably another product that will cause cancer in California. (Dam. Wouldn't ya' hate to live there? After all, it's so much safer here!)

By the way Mark, it was good to see ya' at North Toledo Bend Rendezvous.

Kyle