Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
knoxy

'Scotch magic tape' Caddis

Saw Oliver Edwards at the British Fly Fair this year, and one of the patterns that struck me for its simplicity and effect was his caddis flies, which were tied with 'Magic Tape'. I haven't seen this effect before, and have tied a few up......They look great (simple yet realistic).

To create the wings, dubbing or hair is placed on the sticky side of the tape. This will be on the underside of the wing. The tape can then be cut into a small rectangle, folded, and then cut into the shape of caddis wings. The top can then be coloured with marker pens, and glued if necessary.

A dubbed body to the hook is then created, wing tied in, thorax tied in (i use peacock), and then hackle and antennae if you wish (you can use stripped hackle for the antennae/tusks)......Job done :hyst:

You do not really have to go much above a size 12 for this pattern ( well i'm used to the chalkstreams, so a size that suits the river you use)

Hope thats alright

Tell me what you think! B)

Best regards from England

Chris

The new edition of Selective Trout features a Tape - Wing Caddis which sounds similar. I've tied it, used it and find it effective.

Mark

IPB Image

PS, you must coat the upper portion of this wing with a glue product called "Seal-All". You can get it at hardware stores. It keeps the wing intact.

Nice fly...I've only tried doing it with black, though must try some cinammon sedges...they look great! <_<

Chris

Knoxy, can you post pictures of the differnent stages of making the wing. I saw Oliver tie the pattern but I missed him making the wing.

I'll try to, though it may take me a while to put the pictures on the forum. I'll send you a PM when i've done it. I did not see all of the making of the wings, though i studied the finished wing in detail, and my wings seem to look just like his :blink:

Cheers

Chris

Theres a couple hundred guys smacking themselves in the forehead asking why they didnt think about that. Gott go find some of that tape. What is it normally used for?

Morning

I'll try to get the step by step up by Monday. Sorry for the delay, but we've just got a new camera!!!

Chris