Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Bloodworm season over

As most of you know I dig saltwater Bloodworms for a living. I am officially done for the year. It was one of the best seasons I have ever had. I more or less spent the whole summer digging by myself, going where and when I wanted with no competition for space on the flats. This was a first for me, I have been the lone man on the flats a few tides here and there but never the better part of the year. It was lonely at times and I found myself talking to seagulls on occasion, and throwing them cut and damaged worms like they were pets. Not having to deal with other diggers and there problems was worth more than any money I could of made. Had I been with a group of diggers at a better more productive spot.

Digging Bloodworms is a rugged job, I am getting older and considering something else, here is a picture of 3 of my fingers on my power hand.

IPB Image

I know the rest of my body must be taking its toll as well. The crazy thing is I am thinking about getting on a scallop boat or something simmilar, harder work, less freedom but better money. I am also considering moving back to Ontario to be closer to my family. (pipe dreams but possibilities)

I spent a week doing as little as possible, and have got totally tired of that. I have 200 million little projects and ideas and am looking forward to tying up a storm this winter. I think I am going to go tip a few then lock myself away and see what I can create for this years contest. Its getting closer and I can tell that there are going to be some dynamite flies this year :yahoo: :yahoo:

Damn Dayn, that looks painful. :crying: Smear some Bag Balm on em and wrap em up. They'll be good as new after a few cold ones. :)

:blink: so you use gloves when doing floss work...right...

Looks like that smarts a bit. I can only imagine the comparable internal scarring I have from sitting in a cube all day... :P

Those are 3 nice trophies you got there. What exactly causes it? Is it chapped? I think you said the worms bight? Did the seagulls get a little too excited? What's the deal?

The boys call it rip and tear. Its just a walk in the park. I call it brutal crucial. It puts beer on the table and feathers on the hooks.

Hey I am no dummy if a worm bit me and left such a grand mark, I would learn how to fly.