Fly Tying
uffepuffe

Coments about the fishable realistics

As you can see I use the roots from porcupine guard hair for legs on my Stoneclinger nymfs, I do however find these maybe a little bit to hard and with limited movement in the water. Does anyone have any suggestion on what to replace these with for more movement but still maintain the typical Heptagenia look on the legs?

/Ulf

Thanks Steelie and Ulf,

I added a few patterns in the pinned topic,hope you like them..

And BTW, your nymph looks great!!! what did you use for the wingbuds and for the gills ??

Mihai

Great patterns Mihai!!! I especially liked the Olive Caddis Puppa! Do you treat the Raffia with any varnish before wrapping it for the abdomen?

I Use ostrich herl for the gills, after tying these in I varnish them and cut them down to imitate the "plate" formed gills on the Ephemerella. The wingbud is varnished Raffia. I'll post the pattern in the Pinned topic aswell.

Ulf

No I dont treat it in any way, but I made a mistake.. I'm not sure what it is, they also call it rafia, but it's used for wrapping, decorating flower arangements :dunno: . But they call it raffia!! It's thicker and looks like some kind of plastic actualy.It commes in big bobbins and has every colour you can imagine(sadly the natural colours are not so common :( ) I'll post a picture of a strip later ,maybe it can be helpfull...

I think I know what you mean, it's simillar to the "swiss straw" in it's way because it's syntetic raffia but much more shiny and plastic (and thicker) than the swiss straw, I have a few of those lying somewhere deep in my pile of materials :)

Ulf

I think this thread really goes to the roots of realistic tying, the flies above look like irresistible trout snacks, the kind that just can’t drift by without a reaction and taste. Awesome flies Ulf and Redkid, truly awesome!!! I’m leaving in a couple of hours for three day weekend in Santa Barbara, but I’m looking forward to admiring and contributing to this topic early next week. I have a box of super cool fishable realistics from both of you guys, and if you don’t mind, I’d like to photograph them and post them here.

Graham

(I moved this from the pinned topic to here. Let's try to keep the comments in this thread and the pinned one only for the patterns itself. /Ulf)

Hey Ulf, I think you are right,sounds like the same material :thumbsup: .It's a little stiff and sometimes hard to work with,but looks kind of cool I think.I wanted to use VN but didn't have any so this was what came to my hand.

I realy like your nymphs!!! :headbang:

My paterns are just general paterns,I change the colours and size to match different species.. but you!!! :o you have an imitation for every species. Cool!!!

Anyway.. how do they work for you? Sometimes I'm pissed, beacuse I have "such a close imitation", but apart from the insect I'm imitating fish usualy eat all sort of insects,and here we go back to the ole' GRHE :hyst:

Mihai