Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tompa

First TURBO tubes ever at Fly Tying Forum?

Hello :D

Is this maybe the first tubes posted on the FTF ever with the new TURBO cones from Guideline?

I got theese cones a few days ago and they look like e deep saucer or something. I tied some of my favourite tube patterns using them and took them for a test swim in my local (non-salmon) river. The movement is amazing. When the current hits them in a certain angle they get a wiggly wobbly effect and the tempeldog wings move as I've never seen before.

I'm gonna carry a bunch of TURBO tubes to my homerivers in Norway this summer.

Theese patterns are the Patakhorva and Greenlander, both originally by Michael Frödin.

Try this, you'll like it :D :D :headbang:

//tompa

post-1781-1164317182_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1164317202_thumb.jpg

Hello :D

Is this maybe the first tubes posted on the FTF ever with the new TURBO cones from Guideline?

I got theese cones a few days ago and they look like e deep saucer or something. I tied some of my favourite tube patterns using them and took them for a test swim in my local (non-salmon) river. The movement is amazing. When the current hits them in a certain angle they get a wiggly wobbly effect and the tempeldog wings move as I've never seen before.

I'm gonna carry a bunch of TURBO tubes to my homerivers in Norway this summer.

Theese patterns are the Patakhorva and Greenlander, both originally by Michael Frödin.

Try this, you'll like it :D :D :headbang:

//tompa

Hi Tompa

They flies both look great These new cones are very interesting. I have already ordered them, so I expect them to arive on monday.

Concerning new material on the market. Have you ever tried a new wing material sold under the name "Himalayan sheep" ? The hairs are up to 13 cm long.

Jens

Hi Jens

No, I´ve never tried Himalayan sheep before, actually never heard of it.

Is it any good? Once I tried Sheeps fleece and aöso lama, but they are to soft and sticks together too much.

Where can I get hold of Himalayan sheep. :dunno:

Hälsningar Thomas

P.S Vart fiskar du lax i sommar? D.S

Very nicely tied, tompa! I came across those cone heads last week when I was surfing around on the web. Very interesting design, but I wonder how they fish. Have you fished tube flies with this style cone head before? Are they intended to introduce motion into the fly?

PS - I have noticed that the head on your flies (the melted plastic in the front) are larger on your flies than they are on mine. Do you have a special way of melting the tubing to form the larger collar at the front? I've tried duplicating the larger heads, but I end up plugging the end of the fly with a lump of melted plastic. I'd appreciate if you would share your technique/tricks... :D

Very nicely tied, tompa! I came across those cone heads last week when I was surfing around on the web. Very interesting design, but I wonder how they fish. Have you fished tube flies with this style cone head before? Are they intended to introduce motion into the fly?

PS - I have noticed that the head on your flies (the melted plastic in the front) are larger on your flies. Do you have a special way of melting the tubing to form the larger collar at the front? I've tried duplicating the larger heads, but I end up plugging the end of the fly with a lump of melted plastic. I'd appreciate if you would share your technique/tricks... :D

Hi Ray

I can see that Thomas is not online so I can answer I am sure he will agree....

If You remember my class. I just left 1 (one) milimeter in front of the cone and then melted it down carefully without touching the plastic with the flame. Remember to have the mandrel/pin inside the tube and when the melting touches the front end of the cone push the pin forward to make sure that the hole is intact. Same procedure, here you leave 1½ to 2 milimeter in front of the cone before melting. You can also form it a little by pressing it against a piece of metal as soon as the melting touches the front end of the cone but remember to get the pin through the hole before it hardens.

Hope that it makes sence

Jens

Hi Jens

No, I´ve never tried Himalayan sheep before, actually never heard of it.

Is it any good? Once I tried Sheeps fleece and aöso lama, but they are to soft and sticks together too much.

Where can I get hold of Himalayan sheep. :dunno:

Hälsningar Thomas

P.S Vart fiskar du lax i sommar? D.S

Hi Thomas

I just bought the sheep because it looked good. I bought it in a shop here in Denmark. I will give it a try. If it works I will let you know.

About the fishing - do you mean this year or next year?

Jens

:D Hi all hardcore salmon fans

To answer some questions:

1. No, since the turbo cones hasn't been aviable to us real hardcore fishermen until now I haven't given them a proper trial run. BUT however I´ve put on my scuba gear and watched in real motion so to speak and from what i've seen I have confidence, believe me.

2. How to melt the tubes. I'm afraid I'm far from ortodox here. I use the same small butane burner as I use for burning sugar on creme brules, being a chef I have several and gas as well. I think the trick is that I turn the fly 180 degrees, and push/cram the front part onto the mandrill wich I'm tying on. You'll naturally get an inverted cone shape on the tube and the plastic will melt and form a well defined rim. That's how I do it. Sorry no secret husch-husch-stealth-airborne-black-op-mission tricks here I'm afraid

3. The tricks to the tubes still is good winging material, long but still volumious, and

proportions. Wing with large volume requires body, body hackle and front hackle in the same style to look good and fishable, otherwise It's just a waste of time and money.

Just some of my thoughts.

I wish to extend to you all my wish for Tight Lines and further more always Tight Lines.

Half a step...

:D Tompa

Thank you guys for answering my questions. I appreciate it very much.

Tompa - The use of the mandrel was exactly the piece of information that I needed. Now I understand how you form those heads. Unfortunately, the mandrels I have are a different shape. Mine do not have the disk at the end. My mandrels end in a bent "L" shape, so I will have difficulty doing the same thing to form the head after melting the plastic. I now have an idea of how to get the same result with a different approach. Thanks again for the quick answers.

:D Hi all

Thank you for the kind words about my flies

I don't think that the turbo coneheads will make ordinary cones useless. There are different areas of use for both. Guideline has developed new ordinary cones made of tungsten and when it comes to balancing tubes they are second to none.

The best thing about the new tungsten cones are the generous hollow space if you compare with the ordinary US Cones from Spirit River.

There are no longer any problems to fit the cone onto the head of the tube even if you have double JC, Angle Hair and peacock herls attatched. The best thing after the perfect balance is that yoú'll get a head that is more durable than any varnish, epoxy or superglue. I mean they use tungsten in anti tankshells for god sake.

The new tungsten cones from Guideline comes in XS, S, M and L and the colours gold, silver, black, fluo green, fluo orange and fluo yellow.

Sounds like I'm advertising but I just REALLY like this stuff. Any thing that will improve flies and increase salmon catches should be tried and improved if you are a serious hardcore salmon fisher. The heritage is important but lets not make it a backpack OK.

Always tight lines my friends :headbang:

//thomas