Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
streamcaddis

Renzetti prestation cam 2000 vise

All of the Renzetti vises are well worth the money. I've tied on the Traveler, their 1st.generation Presentation and now the Master. I looked at their 2000 and 4000 and obviously the 4000 is the nicer of the two. As you probably know, they have the same jaws and will hold hooks from 28 to 4/0. If your not going to do alot of rotary tying go with the 2000.That is the real difference between the two, 4000 has beefed up rotary features

Bruce

I've tied on several Renzetti vises and have not cared for any of them. I tie on a Dyna-King Professional model. It is a great vise. I have tied from 4/0 to 28 on mine. I have been using it for over 15 years now. It is simple, fast and overbuilt to the point most tyers will never wear one out. If you should have problems, I have found the company to be great to deal with. I use to tie commercially. After about 15,000 flies the first set of jaws broke. The jaws were replaced with no hassle. They didn't even charge return shipping.

I have the Presentation 400 with the screw jaws. The vise is well built and work very well for me. It is probably more vise than i will ever need, but as far as i am concered it was still worth the price.

You may want to check with the seller to see if you could tie several different types of flies wth the vise before purchasing.

I have the Renzetti Presentation 4000, and I love it. As far as 'true rotary' as opposed to standard 'rotary' vices, I think that should not be a deciding factor. For me, the deciding factor was the jaws on the vice, to me the Renzetti jaws are the best on the market. I have always disliked the grooved jaws on the Dyna-King, so I chose the Renzetti. It took some getting used to, my original vice was very basic, but now I find the features like the racheting rotary feature indispensible when making nice looking heads on flies.

It all comes down to personal preference, just make sure you look at what's available very closely. Different features come on different vices, and quality of construction varies with price range.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you gents for the information. I have used the 3000 since the 70's. Last weekend I had a hard time keeping streamer hooks in the jaws. Today I went out and got the Presentation 2000, needless to say it works good.

Thanks again..

The jaws on your old 3000 are probably just polished and rounded smooth from constant use. I have had the same situation with my Renzetties. Take the jaws apart and sand them flat on a belt sander with 100 diamond grit, give them a quick buff on a piece of course leather so they won't scratch plated hooks and reblue them with gun blue so they won't corode. They will be as good as new.

The jaws on your old 3000 are probably just polished and rounded smooth from constant use. I have had the same situation with my Renzetties. Take the jaws apart and sand them flat on a belt sander with 100 diamond grit, give them a quick buff on a piece of course leather so they won't scratch plated hooks and reblue them with gun blue so they won't corode. They will be as good as new.

That's some great advise for touching up worn out jaws.

I have a travler and I love it, it's been a great vise for me. i started on a Tompson and that was ok for me but now I ty a lot more and I really like the rotery style