Fly Tying
mctwist

Mallard flank wings problem

Hey guys, I'm trying to tie some grizzly king, wet professors and I'm having a hard time getting the wing correctly. It seems to bunch instead of spread like I see on the pattern pics. What am I doing wrong? I don't think it would matter to the fish, but still, they'd look better if I got it right

post-4391-1166058064_thumb.jpg

The main rule to remember in fly tying is that the dressing materials you tie in will always conform to or follow the initial thread underbody shape you started out with.

If you are bundling the base of the wing and simply tying it in on top of the hook {via pinch and loop}, how can you expect it to splay properly? You first need to start out with a wide enough thread base to properly splay out the base of your wing. Once you have the base of the wing properly mounted, the rest of the wing will follow suit automatically.

Here is my crude representation. The left shows a wing base bundle simply tied in on top of the hook shank. The right shows a wing base splayed out over a proper thread base.

Hope this helps.

John

IPB Image

Well, I guess ya learn something new every day. I didn't know about that thread base thing. I will have to try it next time.

mctwist - I'm not sure what look you are trying to achieve in your wing. Frankly, I think it looks good the way it is.

gagabout: The pic is the look I want, not the one I actually have <_<

Streamside: This actually makes sense. I will try that this weekend.

Thanks for the input guys

...also, in that picture you supplied, the hackle is done as a collar behind the wing. That helps to position and spread out the wing....

Mctwist, Streamside has given you a great tip to definately remember. Thread control is everything in tying. I took a class from a well known guy (Wayne Luallen), it was a 6/8 hour class called thread control and I learned more in 8 hours than you could learn on your own in maybe 8 years. Good luck in your tying and have a great Holiday

Bruce