Fly Tying

Bulk Dumbell eyes?

Does anyone have a source for Dumbbell Eyes? I am tying up a bunch of nymphs with eyes for this summer and was just wondering? If not then I guess I am stuck with paying $3.25 for 25 eyes.

Thanks

Jim

I keep some bags of 100 here in the shop, to be honest i am not sure if they are listed on my site or not. They run between $10 and $17 Canadian per one hundred Dumbell Eyes depending on type and size.

Thanks for the replies. Right now I am trying to make a size 1/8 dazzle eyes work on a size 8 nymph hook. So I guess I will be looking for a small, med and large size. The color really doesn't matter to either I'm just looking for something to flip the hook over to ride point up. I tried homemaking some but they didn't come out looking to good.

Thanks

Jim

Here are the sizes for all Lead Type Dumbell Eyes

Mini: 1/8"

X-Small: 5/32"

Small: 3/16"

Medium: 7/32"

For the Brass Dumbell Eyes the sizes are:

2.5mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm, 4.0mm, 4.5mm

JH I have about a dozen tied up with bead chain eyes but I'm affraid they won't be heavy enough. I will be trying them this Sunday and see how they work though. I wish I knew how to make those bead chains heavier.

JR about how much would the lead type eyes be in the small and medium sizes?

Thanks

Jim

something I do occasionally, is to take a piece of mono, and run it between a set of beads. melt the ends, and then place the mono on the hook, and wrap it in place. as long as the mono is short, it will work just the same. Also try some copper wire. hardware stores have brass rods for welding that are really cheap as well.

JH I have about a dozen tied up with bead chain eyes but I'm affraid they won't be heavy enough. I will be trying them this Sunday and see how they work though. I wish I knew how to make those bead chains heavier.

JR about how much would the lead type eyes be in the small and medium sizes?

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

The Plain Lead Dumbell Eyes in Small & Medium would be $11.79 Canadian per bag of 100

The Plated Lead Dumbell Eyes in Small & Medium would be $14.19 Canadian per bag of 100

The Non Toxic Lead Dumbell Eyes in Small & Medium would be $16.49 Canadian per bag of 100

Feel free to send me an email with any questions that you have.

I have started limiting my use of dumbell eyes for two reasons :-

i) They ARE expensive when you are tying lots of flies

ii) I have found through experience that in some cases trout are

more likely to hit a fly without dumbell eyes (the fly in question

here is the woolly bugger). I use 2 layers of lead wire underbody

instead of eyes. If this isn't enough weight then add split to the

tippet too. To be fair though, I have to add that on minnow impressions

the eyes probably help. Maybe bead-chain + lead wire underbody

is the way to go.

Or,

Did anyone ever look into getting set up for casting their own dumbells ?

Fly-Tying Scotsman

If you are not looking for the weight I have used black plastic bead chain as eyes I bought a spool of 37 yards at a clearance sale at Joann fabrics. They do carry it in 3 foot sections in containers, black,white, & red its about .99 a yard you get 6 sets per inch 72 per foot much more practical. send me an e-mail if you cant find it.

Hi everyone, the reason I am asking about lead eyes is because I need the weight of the eyes to flip the fly over and make it ride point up (kinda weedless). And I have heard it is easier to unhook the fish cause the point of the hook should be in the top of its mouth. (I don't know if that is so, it is just something I have heard)

Thanks

Jim

On 12/27/2006 at 6:57 AM, J. R. Caddick said:

J. R.  

I'm looking for 100 dumbell eyes to tie up some Clousers for the Tie-A-Thon folks.  Can't find your website to order.  I'm in the USA.  Lee Branch

Jim,

The Plain Lead Dumbell Eyes in Small & Medium would be $11.79 Canadian per bag of 100

The Plated Lead Dumbell Eyes in Small & Medium would be $14.19 Canadian per bag of 100

The Non Toxic Lead Dumbell Eyes in Small & Medium would be $16.49 Canadian per bag of 100

Feel free to send me an email with any questions that you have.

I'm sure the help is appreciated BUT the post is 15 years old.  From the rest of though I do thank you for this contact!😉

BTW, please allow me to be one of the first to welcome you to this site!

Kim