Fly Tying
breambuster

Video Purchase Update

Thanks to all who offered your suggestions about a fly tying video. I took a good, hard look at the Skip Morris videos, & may purchase some of them later. I may also buy another by Chris Helm. However, I had a gift certificate for Amazon & needed to find something I could get from them. The Skip Morris videos were only available through Amazon Marketplace. So I have on order, a video by Dick Talleur called "Hooked On Fly Tying -- Classic Wet Flies And Nymphs," and a book on the general subject of bluegill fishing, called "Catching Bluegills." by John Tertuliani. This book is supposed to give ideas about where and how to catch the larger bluegills. Not the ones that some call "Stupid" because they have so much competition from others their size, but the really nice bluegills that are so hard to catch. It isn't just a fly-fishing book, but it does include the subject of catching bluegills on flies.

There are several reasons why I chose the Talleur video. I have his fly-tying book for LL Bean and in it he describes folding the feather & there is one still photograph that is supposed to show you how to do it. This video shows Talleur tying a "Grouse & Green Soft Hackle Fly," and that should include the information I need. I have also Googled and studied the other flies in the video & I believe that almost, of not all of them would be good Panfish flies.

Amazon shipped out the order really quickly. I guess they weren't busy right after Christmas. It left Greensboro, about 3 or 4 hours from here, on Friday morning. So I'm hoping to have it early next week. Hopefully Tuesday. I'll try to post an evaluation of both the book and video if anyone is interested.

Thanks

BB

BB,

You might want to check out Terry and Roxanne Wilson's book-Flyfishing For Bluegill. An excellent book and reasonably priced.

Dave

I would have to agree with Terry and Roxanne Wilson's book Flyfishing For Bluegill I have a copy of the book and it gives many patterns to tye for bluegills, and I have had success with several of the patterns.

I can also recommend the Wilson's book. I read it once or twice a year. I also recently got The Art of Tying The Bass Fly by Skip Morris (walmart.com). Looks like a great book with lots of detailed instructions & photos. :yahoo:

Breambuster you said you purchased from Amazon, I forgot to add that I purchase a lot of books both fly-tying and others from amazon. They have a great selection and the prices are very competitive. I shared a "amazon prime-membership" with with my son and all are books arrive in two days FREE SHIPPING regardless of the price, and for 1.99 to 3.99 (depending on the day of the week) we get overnight shipping on all our books/merchandise. Sorry I guess I'm pushing Amazon, but they have done right by me :)

Thanks guys. I have the Roxanne Wilson book, and I agree that it is very good. In fact, it's the best book I've found so far on the subject of bluegill fishing. I have tied up some of the flies in the Wilson book, also. In fact, the Bully's Bluegill Spider in the data base here is their pattern which I submitted. Thanks for your help and encouragement.

BB