Fly Tying
letumgo

Make Your Own Imitation Jungle Cock Eyes

Ah yes, but then tell me: if you plan to tie one or a few of a particular fly, planning to fish with them, and to tie them "properly" calls for a specific kind of material that is either expensive, or only available in quantities (or both), do you go ahead and buy the stuff, or do you try to find or make some substitute material (bear in mind this thread was about whether to buy a whole cape of JC, or to make a substitute)?

Yeah ... I wasn't actually responding to the 9 year old original post. I was responding to yours right above mine.

Usually, the only NEW flies I tie, are those that I can duplicate using what I have on hand. That's why I haven't ties wooley buggers until now ... I never wanted to buy the hackle feathers.

As for the OP ... I don't tie the type of flies that require them, but if I did, I'd use the plastic type, because I'd be tying them for fishing, not for display.

Great post,

Thanks for the info and the really good article.

I use the small teal feathers with the dark centre spot which I dye into various colours to add

"Eyes" to some of my flies.

Works quite well and is pretty inexpensive.

a great idea you have there, with the rising cost of Jungle cock as well as the difficulties some importers have obtaining the original feathers i can see methods like this becoming more and more prolific. I've recently tried some synthetic feathers that also worked out pretty good too...

James.... link to source of the synthetic feathers pls.

On 1/1/2007 at 2:44 PM, letumgo said:

Here is an article I wrote up this morning about "How to turn a Partridge Feather into a Jungle Cock Eye". Hope you find this useful.

post-4573-1167685205_thumb.jpg

Making_Your_Own_Imitation_Jungle_Cock_Eyes.pdfUnavailable

Is this .pdf still available, please? The link isn’t working. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, jmiltonconnell said:

Is this .pdf still available, please? The link isn’t working. Thanks!

Link works for me, it doesn't open a page though, it is a file down load or can opened with Adobe.

I linked fine, and downloaded the article without any problem.  Thanks for sharing.