Fly Tying
en4cer

center pin reel ???

Hey,

I went out and bought a center pin reel the other day....and am not to sure how to set it up. Does anyone know if there's a web site out there that would be able to help me out ?

Thanks

Off hand I don't know of any place that describes them. The only references I've seen to them are in Britain or Australia. Maybe a web search centered around those 2 countries would turn up something.

I just did a web search on the three words "center pin reel" thru Google, and it gave pages to look at.

I think the most important thing to remember about center pin reels is they're an old style, simple, direct and totally user-controlled piece of equipment. You are the drag; you are the retrieve. The use of center pin reels in recreational salmon and steelhead fisheries is well over a century old, originating in Great Britain and making its way around the world from there.

My understanding of how these work, from many years ago having observed 'old-timers' use them is they're best employed as a conventional style, stripping line off a revolving spool, hauling and casting in a traditional manner, as opposed to turning your casting stroke and equipment at a right angle to the direction of your cast and allowing the line to 'peel' off, as in the use of a open-face spinning reel. My memory is that using a right-angled approach only made cranky old men yell louder and curse more at the whippersnappers and G'D' F'in' Morons who did so.

Take into consideration, my recollections are from some fifty years ago, when ships were wood, men were steel, fly rods were Tonkin Cane and it took almost a day to drive to Atlantic Canada to listen to my great-grandfather spew invectives every time the tiniest thing went wrong - I sure did learn how to swear, though! rolleyes.gif

Are you using this on a flyrod, or a gear rod? I've heard of guys using these on fly rods, but have had horrible times using them. I've used them, and am actually looking for another one myself. They just get too expensive (a good one for steelheading will cost in the nice fly reel range). They are still used, and saw a few in the GL's when I fished there, and a LOT more in BC.

Dfix had it about right. It's almost what I'd call a mock spey cast to cast it. And, they are VERY finicky. Took me a couple hours of heavy cursing to get mine casting. And the backlashes caused by them make any standard baitcasters' "ratsnest" look tame in comparison. The ones I used simply were lined full of whatever # test mono you were using. I wouldn't use braid on it, unless you plan to use a TON of mono as backing first to fill up the spool. If you have one of the newer centerpins (hell, even some of the Hardy Silex and the likes) they should spin freely and for quite awhile. Have heard of some of the newer models (Islander Steelheader I believe) that will spin for almost 3 minutes on one good turn of the handle. Why you're paying $300 or so for a centerpin, the ball bearings are so good the thing spins SMOOTHLY.

I actually have an old book my friend gave me (he was from BC and the owner of the centerpin rod/reel I was using float fishing) and discusses using centerpins and the likes. I still have it (it's an old book). If you want, I could try scanning some of the pages and emailing to you. If you're interested, let me know. Unless you want to use it as a fly reel. It even tells how to cast as well.

Thanks for the info gents' I've seeing a lot of guys out this way (eastern Ontario) using them over the last couple of years....going ever so more popular as the years go by. I was manly wondering how to set up the pin itself....I assume that you fill the "pin" with 8-to lbs and fish a 4 lb leader....but I;ve see guys with floating line as a filler...and was wondering why ?

Steelhearder69, if you can find the time, any forwarded info would be greatly appreciated...thatnks al lot boys

en4cer@rogers,com

great Thanks.....SteelheaderOntario....where about in Ontario are you from...where do you fish ???

Thanks for the info...the "floatfishing" is alright for info...provided you don't ask the question...I've been reading the treads for the last year or so, and rarely do I get a reply to any questions that I ask......

Any ways, thanks again !

Locations and bait they keep to themselfs.

Reels,Rods........most equipment they'll

help out w/.

I'm from Ottawa,Ont. and we travel to Port Hope,

Cobourg Spring/Fall for Steels and Salomn.

Don't fish much in the Big Lake,but the tribs

have a lot to offer.

right on....well it'll be any day now...I spent a lot of time on the b'ville (south of two) amd when you can the upper ganny and wilmont are great. I'll drop you a line when the rivers open up.....I drive by them amost every day on my way in to work just to have a look !

Sorry for the late reply en4cer

Thanks,if you could keep me informed I'd appriciate that.

We're planning a trip beginning of Mar.

If not then we're definatly up for Openner in Apr. headbang.gif

Thanks Again,Ron

PS.buy the way,Did you find what you were looking for?

Yep, sure did....as luck would have this weekend has turned out for the better...with temp's in + and rain coming in on Monday I decided to swing by the B'ville bends......OPEN biggrin.gif , iI'll be heading out Sunday morning, I'll let you know how I did !

en4cer