Fly Tying
Pujic

Favorite Fly Fishing / Tying Book?

Lee Wulff on Flies. Not because it is the greatest treatise on technique nor does it have dozens of beautiful must have patterns bu tbecause it has great wisdom about catching fish on flies and why perfect representation is of less importance than impression and internal movement.

My 1st book was from Poul Jorgensen is MIA eve since I went into the service. I'll get another copy one day, just to have it again. I enjoyed Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout, wasn't so dry to read. Selective Trout is due for another read. Waiting for a copy of William Blacker's Salmon Fly Tying I won on Ebay. I also have Pretty and Practicle and and a few others. I'd have to my favorite is still my 1st book, because that's where my flys started to look like flys.

"Matching The Hatch" by Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

After reading through the posts to this thread, I was kind of suprised not to see this book mentioned. It was originally published in 1955 so a copy may be hard to find today. The dust jacket reads, "A practical guide to the imitation of insects found on Eastern and Western trout waters."

From the book, "The angler does not need dead trout in his basket to feel satisfaction. He has long since proved to himself that he can catch trout, and needs no proof for his companions. He does not fear the ridicule of others, for he knows that he could kill his limit if he wished. He counts as his highest reward the number of fish put back into the streams for another day."

I'd be hard pressed to name a single "favorite (non fictional) fly fishing / tying book," so I'll merely suggest that other folks might enjoy these, which are among my many favorites:

fly fishing: "The Moon Pulled up an Acre of Bass: a Flyrodder's Odyssey at Montauk Point," by Peter Kaminski, about his month-long adventure fishing the fall run at the eaterm tip of Long Island (NY)

fly tying: "Hair Wing Atlantic Samlon Flies,: by Keith Fulsher and Charles Krom

-- Bill

Of the half dozen or so books I own, my favorites are the Jack Dennis' Tying Flies for Western Trout, volumes 1 and 2.

Older books, but very good "tried and true" patterns that are well illustrated, and fantastic stories to go with each. Obviously not all the patterns are built for the spring creeks I fish but I'll be set for when I head west.

My 8 year old loves to flip through them, just reading stories.

Way back when I got my orvis tying kit , There was an instructural book in it . I cant remember the title

but it was written by Erik Lieser. Ithink that is how you spell it? Any how that is what got me started tying.

B

Two of my favorite Tying the classic salmon fly ( Michael D Radencich

World fly finder Peter Cockwill ,, but there is so many good one out on the market

Just cant read them all

Tight Lines Mike

I'm new around here but I have to add a vote for AK's "Production Fly Tying" Is is one great book with tons of useful hints and methods.

But my current favorite book is "Tying Small Flies" by Ed Engle. This book really make s tying down to 28 manageable and even fun. In fact after tying a bunch of 22-26, a size 12 is positively HUGE.

And one great thing in this book is the chapter containing the results of an extensive test of thread that Ed did. I think it was the subject of a magazine article a few years back, but it is nice to have a permanent copy in this book.

I can think of one out of my collection I could not live without. Fly Fishing- Fly Tying by Fran Betters. His book helps keep me grounded. His flies have that simple buggy look without all the modern glits and glam. They reinforce the idea of right size, right color and you'll catch the fish. I also have a really odd little book that kinda does the same thing. It is....drum roll please, Making & Using The Dry Fly by Paul H. Young. What a treat that book is, although hard to read in places the patterns in the back of the book are worth the twice what the book is worth. This was his only book by the way.

Good question. Without a doubt, for tying,The Benchside Referance.

All time favorite - "Fishing Dry Flies for Trout on Rivers and Streams" by Art Lee (1982) Full of common sense stuff, covers everything.

"Terrestials" by Steeves and Koch. This is my reference for all things terrestrial, along with Audibon Society's "Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders".

Also really like Murray's "Fly Fishing for Smallmouth Bass". Lots of great info. (Try the James Wood Bucktail)

"Fly Fishing Small Streams" by John Gierach is right up with the big boys. Again, lots of common sense stuff. (Anything by John G. is great reading)

that's my 5 cents worth.

I'd have to say that the two that had the most effect on me were Caddsflies by Gary LaFontaine and "Challenge of the Trout" by Gary LaFontaine as well. I think it was this last one that made me realize there was more to flyfishing than cast and retrieve. I have always admired the innovation he showed and have tried to do the same thing over the years.

My favorite flytying/ flyfishing books are: Randall Kaufmanns' Tying Dry Flies, Tying Nymphs. the Art of Fly Tying by Claude Chartrand. American Fly Tying Manual and Essential Trout Flies by Dave Hughes. Reading The Water and Handbook of Hatches by Dave Hughes.