Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bob C

Bucktail frog?

Somewhere I thought I saw step by step instructions for tying the Messinger Bucktail Frog. I can't find them and I don't remember whether I saw them online, in a magazine or...? Anybody know where there is a tutorial with visuals?

thanks in advance, Bob

IPB Image

MATERIALS

Hook: Straight eye, Wide gap, like the Mustad 37187

Thread: Monocord, in Olive or green

Rump: Bunches of deer body hair, green on top, yellow below

Body: Stacked and spun green, yellow and white deer hair

Legs: Green and yellow bucktail, with the butt ends facing backward

Eyes: Plastic (hollow are available commercially, but original were solid and made by Messinger)

TYING INSTRUCTIONS

1. Spin green and yellow deer body hair over the 1/3 rear of the hook. Pack tightly and trim to a tapered shape to form the rump.

2. Select 2 bunches of bucktail (1 green and 1 yellow). Layer so green is on top and yellow on the bottom. Place the end of a heavy thread within the bunch of deer hair and tie the both the thread and the deer hair on the side and in front of the spun deer hair rump with the bucktail butts facing backward. The leg should extend beyond the rump by the length of the hook shank.

3. Insert a straight pin inside the leg and wrap a size D thread around the bucktail bunch, the thread and the straight pin to form a knee joint. Tie off the thread, bend the knee and cement the knee joint. Cut off the excess length of the straight pin. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other leg.

4. Trim the legs to provide a uniform leg ending

5. Spin deer hair for the front two-thirds of the body. Tie off, cement and trim the body to a full rounded shape.

6. Go catch some bass

I found this Bob hope it helps alittle

i have it in a book ill see if i can scan it

Please do not post scanned pages. That would be a copyright violation. The goodwill is appreciated though!