Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Eyes, lead, tungsten, brass, copper

Of all the different types of metal eyes manufactured, most are made of one of these metals, lead, tungsten, brass, or copper. Which do you use and why.

How many avoid lead because of its effect on the environment, fish or fowl? What are your opinions of the others metals since all are also used for beads and cones?

I try to avoid lead and wondered what everyone else did and why they do whatever they do. Does it really make a difference?

Thanks!

Ray

Harold, I try to avoid lead as much as I can. And if I use eves to weight my flies, I just use bead chain, it will sink the fly fast, and you get lotsa eyes for cheap, just go to Wally World or your local hardware store and pick up a section in the desired size and start cuttin it.

Dustin.

I do not use any lead. Gave it up completly In tying and spining :headbang: I feel as a fisherman I should take every step I can to protect are sport, hobby, livleyhood. I belive every bit NO matter how small willl make a difference!!! Lead on one fly is tiny but if every one who fly fishes lost a couple every year it's got to add up. I just want my kids and theirs to be able to enjoy fly fishing as much as I do. Why shoot my favorite pass time in the foot. I just avoid lead. (THIS IS JUST MY OPINION) Bead Chain is a great alternative and CHEAP.

vtflyhack

I've pretty well gotten out of lead also. The only lead I use now is when tying clousers and someone wants the red lead eyes on them. If I'm tying weighted nymphs I use the lead free wire, it's not quite as heavy but it works. As far as the other materials I use them all, brass tungsten or copper, They all have their place.