Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ryanm

first couple

tied these two yesterday.. i went to a fly tying class once way back in gradeschool and got all pumped.. went out an bought a AA vise and a couple things.. they've been in my closet for over 10 years.. bought a couple new materials and tried my hand at it again.. i don't know that either is a certain pattern, just me messin around.. be brutal, suggestions are welcome..

post-9662-1170019757_thumb.jpg

Not bad at all especially for just starting out. on your dry, it kinda looks like an Adams, but not :dunno: The hackel is too long, and the tail needs to be tied to lay more on top of the hook, and splayed out flat, this willl help it float better, and try to make the body of it more cigar shaped. Like I said I believe both will catch fish, and keep up the good work.

Dustin

i like em! that one does look like an ADAMS. in addition to what fly time said, make your wings much shorter. they should only be as long as the hackle, maybe a lil longer than it. the hackle should be one and one half the width of the hook gap. and on the body, make it more of a taper, not realy a cigar. taper is so it is skinny by the tail and SLIGHTLY fatter by the hackle. the fly in my avatar is an ADAMS that i tied. check it out for proportions and what not.

thanks for the input everyone. i need to work on my proportions with all of my flies i believe. i have a tendency to make them all too big.