Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
en4cer

HELP...me!!!

hey guys....

just one questions...? if you had to choose your most productive wet fly for spring steel', what would it be ?

I've been out the last three days and have gotten skunked on every outing !!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Good Day,

Ouch... tough to decide... Wiggle hex (small), stonefly or alevin for me that past few seasons.

Steelie

I hate to say this, but it really depends on the year class of fish. (My theory)

Some years you can't keep them away from a greenbutt skunk, others it's something with red, black or natural offerings during clear water situations

Have you guys tried using leeches? Not buggers. But bunny leeches? Hell, use them almost all year around. But they really start coming out around closure time (that's april here). Try them in pink, black, or peach. But for you, would have to be smaller (talking 1/0's here). But can't see where a small size 6 or 8 bunny leech wouldn't work.

thanks for the info guys...I'll start tying right away....you now I just started fising with flies this season, and by the way I've started out......it's getting real hard to keep at it. the guys are having great luck on "pink worms", so I've been tying anythink pink I can get my hands on...any ways, thanks again for the info, I'll let you know how I make out next week (one good thing about shift work,...it's only four days of work to get four days of fishing biggrin.gif

Hey, if they're finally using the pink worm, then tie up a pink bunny leech. The pink worm has been a trademark here for over 2 decades now. The pink bunny leech is a perfect fly to mimic the plastic version. It's my "go to" fly for steelhead. Especially on the Olypen rivers.

bear coat,

I have used the Joe's Smelt pattern trolling to catch Ice-out lake trout (never tried them on steelhead).

It's hard to find material suppliers that sell the pintail feathers. That may be why they are hard to find?

That said, I have seen finished flies that can be purchased on the web. I seem to remember that there are some fly suppliers in Maine that do still sell pintail feathers as well.

The pattern is excellent and worth the time and effort to tie.

Tom

Like steelheader said, leaches, have you tried them? The bunny egg sucking leach might be a working pattern for you. Does the water freeze around there over the winter? If so then try throwing out some flesh flies... they work very well.