Fly Tying

post-8893-1170978185_thumb.jpgHi guys , been a while since my first topic , just been trying to soak up all the info from you all , and the fly tying well thats just awsome. I have a interest in old tackle (Hardy) and have allways been blown away with the classic gut eyes , so here we are starting on a whole new way of tying (I have tied before but never a classic ) . I only have basic trout tying materials at moment , and although I have allways wanted to try the classics I wondered if it was the right thing to do , with the costs and how difficult the flys looked to tie. Another big problem here in Cornwall is there are no classes or no one I know off who ties classics for personal advice ext , but thanks to you ALL I am begining to see a little light . So here is my first classic (well if you can call it a classic ?) Please let me have your thoughts . Thanks again guys , you are a top bunch . Edward .

Edward, Welcome to the forum.Always nice to see a new guy submitting (especially their first Classic). You've done well :) Keep them comming. Try to find herl that is shorter, its not hard to find, other than that , things are looking great

Bruce

nice tie for your first. i agree you need to find ostrich herl with a bit shorted fiber. also you might want to try lowering the tip of the tail a bit when you do another. placement of the tail dictates the placement of the wing, shortening your tail would have lowered the tip of the wing when you tied it in and this would have given your fly more "flow" rearward instead of up. the tip of the tail when placed right sorta gives you a guide to how low the rear end of the wing should be placed and it's a common mistake we all have made. hope you can understand what i'm trying to say

keep up the good work

Bud

Oh man, all these new tyers are really discouraging! I really am going to quit and just toss all my tying junk on the burn pile!!!!!!!!! ...................................he he he he

Great fly and I echo what the others said. Actually, balance, wing size and bodywork are all really, really good. :headbang:

Welcome aboard. Very nice job for your first. Keep posting, and you'll progress quickly indeed. You've clearly got the talent.

Leigh

Dear Ronn. could you possibly load the stuff you want to chunk into a Sia Truck and send it here. i believe they have 18 wheelers now that haul two containers at a time and i understand it will possibly take two containers. i will gladly mail you a 100.00 bill right away. infact i'll mail it express mail to rid you of this terrible burden asap. thanks for your time

sincerly,

Bud Guidry

Hey Edward,

I can't quite tell, but is that Jungle Cock on that fly? And I though you said you didn't have materials. :D

Nice first fly.

As far as not having any teachers nearby, just keep doing what you are doing - reading this forum. Tons of good advice here.

And if you want to spring for a video I would recommend Mike Radencich's DVD "Tying the Classic Salmon Fly". Fantastic up-close photography and great narration by Mike telling you exactly what he is doing and why every step of the way.

Welcome to your new obsession.

Jeff

he he he Bud, sorry, dumped some gas on the pile and burned it to a crisp. You wouldn't have wanted all that junk anyway. You got much gooder junk than I do anyway. Everytime I used to cook the fish before I caught em, I couldn't find any. ha ha ha ha Have fun my Cajun friend!

What a great first attempt--mine shoulda looked so nice! My advice is first things first--be like Rocky, and work the body (in steps..tip, then tag, then tail..etc). Pay particluar attention to the size and placement of the tail, as well as body taper, as this is the foundation the whole fly is built around. And congrats on being, like, the 6th newbie that ties neater heads than me (#$%#!&*) . Welcome.

Welcome Edward. Looking good!!! The veterans are giving you fine advice. Keep practicing and posting.

DG

Thanks everyone, it is very encouraging to have all your feedback as I need to try and learn the correct ways from the start , and what I think looks right , is not , so I need that pointed out to me .

Hi Jeff , yes that is JC in the wing its a poor grade that I bought for the trout flys I tied . I will now try and buy some better and appropiate materials, any advice appreciated .

Hi Ted , Cornwall is at the bottom of the United Kingdom. Thanks again guys , over the next few days will try and get another fly off the vice and let you see it . Cheers , Edward .

how far awy from newark are you? there will be another fly fair there thw eekend of march 3-4...so if you're in the area there will be at least one guy there yhat will answer any or all fot oyur questions

stop and say hello

ted

Late saying hello - but welcome aboard!

Good first hit - you've seen all the notes (so for a change I won't way you down with comment - audience breaths a sigh of relief).

PM me your address and I'll send you a brochure I recently designed for a Hardy collectables dealer.

I've PMed you a couple of bits of info. There are about 7 from the UK on the Forum - as Ted mentioned Newark would be good to pick up info - you'll learn a hell of a lot simply by watching Ted, Long (or at the BFF Paul, Philip G etc, etc).

Cheers

Dave