Fly Tying

post-2058-1171084405_thumb.jpg i'm going to post pics of this whole fly in progress. a section each night. maybe some of you might like to tie a-long. this is how i aply the silks and tensil to the tag area. i begin by attaching the tensils one at a time using one wrap of thread to hold it in place. this ribbing will have three elements. a small silver oval, flat gold embossed and another small silver oval

Bud

post-2058-1171084639_thumb.jpgi then move the thread forward using edge to edge wraps even with the hook point. snipoff the excess tensils and tie inthe silk with 5 wraps then snip the butt of the silk hanging

post-2058-1171084856_thumb.jpgnext i wrap the silk rearward to the tag end and back forward making sure the silk stays very flat and smooth. theres a trick to keeping the silk flat. wiggle it from side to side a little while wrapping and it will expand or widden. once i have it back at the starting point i unwrap three wraps and tie in the silk using five wraps then i snip the excess silk off.

post-2058-1171085171_thumb.jpgi start moving the three elements of tensil forward beginning with the center piece whish is the gold flat embossed. making sure to make five wraps. always make sure the wraps are evenly spaced as best you can. i then follow with the small silver ovals one at a time. make sure they rest right along the flat center piece you first applied. i attach them in the same way i did the silk with a five three wrap of thread. once all the elements are tied in snip off the excess tensils and the tag is complete ready for the tail.

one thing i forgot to mention in the other part about the silk. once you have it tied in burnish it before moving the tensils forward

tommorow night i'll post pics of the tail and first body section being made and added on. possibly the first set of wings also. this is going to be an elaborate fly with many elements but i'll try to use materials you may all have incase you might like to try this tie-a-long

hope this helps guys

Bud

Hi B. Fantastic too see you in action, thanks. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I must again say I understand why my bodies not look like yours hehe :) I realy like these kind of bodys and hope I will learn it. I am still a bit confused because I am not familiar with what you mention about 70 and 140? What did it means, is it thickness or? I must probably learn me better english/american :)

70 denier is a smaller thread than 140 denier. the 140 thread builds up quicker when i'm wrapping it around the body to build it up. i apply materials with the smaller 70 denier so thats why i always put back the 70 once i have built up the body size and shape . understand ?

i use 140 because it's bigger and builds up the body quicker

the 70 is smaller and used to apply materials adding less bulk to the areas i'm tying in materials like tensil or feathers

Bud

70 denier is a smaller thread than 140 denier. the 140 thread builds up quicker when i'm wrapping it around the body to build it up. i apply materials with the smaller 70 denier so thats why i always put back the 70 once i have built up the body size and shape . understand ?

i use 140 because it's bigger and builds up the body quicker

the 70 is smaller and used to apply materials adding less bulk to the areas i'm tying in materials like tensil or feathers

Bud

Yes at last hehe, thanks :) :) :)

WOW Bud, your technique speaks for itself, not to mention the service you are providing to other tyers

Thanks......DG

Great job on the step by step. I really like this kind of instruction. Nice and slow so us southern boys can understand it. ;)

Bud - Thank You for taking us through the step-by-step process of creating the body, tying in the pieces of tinsel, and tying off/hook positions at each step. I have found this to be incredibly helpful to understand the subtle, yet critical, steps required to create such wonderful fly bodies. Thank you for letting us "tag along" as you tie this fly.

-Ray

most of you on here don't need these instructions or we can just call them helpful hints. most of you on here have all these applications mastered but there are a few beginners here that might need a bit of a hand and thats why i've posted this. it's tough learning on your own and sometimes tough trying to understand the language. i figured having a visual aspect of the process we all speak of so often here might be a bit more helpful to those that want to learn.

if only one person benifits from this is was well worth it and i'm having fun doing it .

if one person benifits from only one small step of the process, it was well worth it.

every tyer developes his own style. this i learned early on when Ronn and John were walking me thru the steps but it was still tough not having pictures of them actually showing me first hand how to do this or that. they would send me pictures and a picture is worth a thousand words. after "seeing" what they were talking about it all became clear.

this is all basic stuff and you may do things a little different. i think if you get the top five tyers on this page together and ask them all to prepare a body for material application you'll see five different ways to do it. don't use this as a guide to a way it has to be done but use it as a base to begin from. do what works best for you and what your most comfortable doing. remember it has to be fun and the rest will fall into place. use it as a foundation to the developement of your own style.

more tonight

Bud