Fly Tying

2006 Fly Tyer of the Year Overall Winners

Well, it is time to crown the 2006 Fly Tyer of the Year Contest. There were alot of great flies this year and I cannot be more impressed with the quality work from the members here. In the end though, it comes down to one fly, one fly that is chosen by the members as the best of the best.

I distinctly remember when I opened the package and seen this fly and was in awe of its graceful beauty and I knew that it would be a hard fly to beat. By the end of photographing there were several others that shocked me in the same way and the 2nd round voting proved that there were not much seperation. In fact only 20 votes seperated 1st place from 4th place so it was a very close race.

The winner of the 2006 Fly Tyer of the Year is FranceFly with his beutiful full dressed salmon fly that was entered into the Salmon & Steelhead Freestyle Category! He will be awarded the grand prize of the custom bamboo fly rod built by Chris Carlin. Congrats FraceFly, your fly was spectacular and you certainly deserve the honor of being crowned the Fly Tyer of the Year!

1st Place

France Fly - Salmon & Steelhead Freestyle

http://www.flytyingforum.com/contest/2006t...bc076d940e7.jpg

2nd Place

redkid - Most Creative

winner of the Marryat MX Plus 10-13wt fly reel($1000 value). Donated by Canadian Fly Fisher Magazine

http://www.flytyingforum.com/contest/2006t...bc076c33ef5.jpg

3nd Place

utkin - Most Realistic

winner of a $250 Willam Joseph Gift Certificate. Donated by Canadian Fly Fisher Magazine

http://www.flytyingforum.com/contest/2006t...bc076dc78d3.jpg

Congrats to each of you. Your work was amazing. Way to go Bruno! Way to represent us all well. You done us proud.

Thank you for organizing this for us Will. Awesome job. You did such a good job that you should take the rest of the night off as our way of saying thank you! ;)

Congrats you three. I am amazed by the quality of your work.

Will, great job from start to finish with this contest.

Tim

Congratulations France Fly , you realy deserve that, you tied an awesome fly !!! :thumbup:

And thank you again Will for all your efforts!

Mihai

Congrat's to the top winners, definitely well deserved winners!!! You all got my vote!

Just an amazing year for the FTOTY, let's get started on the next one!! LOL!

Enjoy the fruits of your labours boys!!!

One prize that I forgot to mention was the rod that Steeldrifter( http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/ ) donated for the best overall Trout fly.

The rod will be given to uffepuffe for his swimming nymph that was entered into the Trout - Subsurface category http://www.flytyingforum.com/contest/2006f...bc076b29bb4.jpg

Congrats Ulf! Owning several of Steve's rods myself I would have to say you are going to be more than happy with the rod you will be receiving soon.

Thanks again to Steve for donating the rod.

Will

An outstanding contest that i have had the humble privlege of entering for the past 4 years. It is a good time and Will does an outstanding job. All who consider themselves tiers should honor will and his work by entering.

again some great flies and some great tiers

Irish

Great flies guys. wounderfull examples of a true Fly of the year. And congrats uffepuffe. I love that nymph.

Way to go, and my hats off to you Will. you,ve done a terrific job on a tough undertaking. well done!

Congratulations to the overall winners!! I think this was the best year yet. Although I didn't enter anything this year becuase of some other deadlines, I had a lot of fun voting. A bunch of great flies for sure.. :headbang:

Caleb

I am super impressed with the skill levels and creativity of all the fly tying artist who participated.

All three of these were fantastic flies.

Thank you to the top three for sharing your inspiration and skill with us all. I greatly admire your work.

Congratulation!

dad