Fly Tying
DrLogik

Head Cement Preferences

Head Cement Preferences  

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

J.R. Caddick,

Jamie,

I'm the guy in North Carolina who recently bought half a dozen bottles of Pro Lak from you. That's some nice head cement. Dave Brandt was right, it does a fine job!

Grant

for bucktails I hit the finished head with zap-a-gap thin formula usually... if using light colored thread it makes the thread translucent allowing the colors of the bucktail to show through, very nice if using different colored layers of bucktail. Let it dry (overnight is best) and then hit it with a couple coats of sally-hard-as-nails clear. I put a drop of zap-a-gap on the final windings of deer hair bugs, works well. For finishing deer hair bugs, I paint the bottom of the finished bug with very thin flexament, which soaks in and saturates the thread under the hair. Everything else I usually just use hard-as-nails clear and rely on thread color.

My flies have improved since i began using zap-a-gap.

I wonder if Sally Hansen company knows how many fly tiers use their stuff?

J.R. Caddick,

Jamie,

I'm the guy in North Carolina who recently bought half a dozen bottles of Pro Lak from you. That's some nice head cement. Dave Brandt was right, it does a fine job!

Grant

Hi Grant,

Glad that you like the Head Cement. Once i followed the link to your site i realized who you were and had a bit of a chuckle, i didn't know i would be helping out in an informal poll of Head Cements.

Oh yeah, i either apply the Pro-Lak with a fine bodkin or with a plastic lacquer applicator bottle depending on the size of the fly and which is closer. I use the clear Pro-Lak for about 95% of the flies i tie as i prefer to change thread colour instead of risking messing up an otherwise great fly with a slip of the bodkin with coloured Head Cement on it.

JSzymczyk,

I'm thinking that Sally Hansen's knows that folks use their product for things other than coating a finger or toenail. Why else would they package it in a non-descript utilitarian bottle literally right next to the feminine and "pretty" bottle of the very same product? When I bought my last bottle of Hard as Nails both bottles were on the same rack. If that's an intentional marketing strategy, they've definitely done their homework!

JSzymczyk,

I'm thinking that Sally Hansen's knows that folks use their product for things other than coating a finger or toenail. Why else would they package it in a non-descript utilitarian bottle literally right next to the feminine and "pretty" bottle of the very same product? When I bought my last bottle of Hard as Nails both bottles were on the same rack. If that's an intentional marketing strategy, they've definitely done their homework!

I get a real kick out of that, its absolutely true! Those marketing guys are brilliant.

Just to make sure I feed right into it, I have both style bodies. I like the girlie version for small flies as the longer handle gives better control. I trim a good amount of brush bristles off both.

What do I use for head on my flies?? First depends on use for fly, but here is a list of things I use.

Superglue

Hot glue gun glue

Many nail polishes (different colors)

Pro lac

Epoxy

Elmers sparkle glues

shoe gu

Contact cement

Flexcement

Still have not found anything I like for display flies??

White gas and paraffinn good for the water ways :o with all the water base products available to us now??

Blessings,

Jeremy

I never use chemicals, with two exceptions. Superglue (cyanoacrylate) and epoxy. I always try to be restrictive with chemicals as there's always a risk of them damaging your fly inreversably.

I use the superglue for adding strengh to specific steps when tying a fly such as when winding on lead foil. I don't like the sticky back lead foil since its sticky back tends to float out through the fly and ruin the body... I pretty much always finish my flies off with a couple of good whips, save beadheaded flies. In that case I put some superglue on the thread and wind a few wraps with it, much neater than whipfinishing.

I use epoxy mainly for saltwater and seatroutflies simply for the looks of them. I don't just coat the final thread windings, but the entire head on a baitfish for example. Or maybe I coat the entire back of a shrimp with epoxy. It is of more visual purposes (and of course durability) compared to superglue.

Both are applied with a common metal bodkin.

For most flies , I use FLY-TITE (FLY RITE)

For classic's I use thinned down flytite, followed by Sally Hansen's

Most recently have tryed a special head cement which is the original recipe "Kelson"s" head cement made with pure gum turpentine(for classics)

For most flies , I use FLY-TITE (FLY RITE)

For classic's I use thinned down flytite, followed by Sally Hansen's

Most recently have tryed a special head cement which is the original recipe "Kelson"s" head cement made with pure gum turpentine(for classics)

I thin down my Fly tite for all flies. I have been playing with the Kelson's as well, I would be interested in hearing how you are doing with it. I like the color, etc but you have to be real careful not to get it close to the hackle as it gets sucked right up and then stains the feather.

I just picked up some cellire in clear at the somerset show, haven't played with it as I spent this afternoon (which is my traditional tying slot) organizing and file etc the new stuff).

I suspect Loon Hard Head is thicker Loon Head Cement.

The Loon Head Cement is too thin for my tastes, so I add drops of water until it suits me and use it as head cement and as a replacement for epoxy on some other flies.

I dont use head cement all that often, only on toothy critter flies. Usually I just use a little beeswax on the thread, since I began doing this I have yet to have a head come undone, but I also loose flies as quick as I tie them so it maybe a biased view.

Mostly Sally Hansen's unless I need an epoxy head, then I use Devcon or Locktite 5 min. I sometimes use EZ Shape sparkle body if I want a flashy head with a little bit of glitter. Stuff works great on clouser heads and other heads with beadchain/dumbell eyes.

Loon (water based) Head Cement and depending on the fly I will put Loon Hard Head Cement on after to give it a finished look, usually on Clousers or feather-wing streamers